Is Miami biglaw still 'that' competitive? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is Miami biglaw still 'that' competitive?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:21 pm

YHS student with ties as strong as possible. Contacts in market told me YHS is basically a lock for 2L SA's so long as decently personable and median-ish grades. Now I'm reading old threads and it seems like Miami is ultra-competitive even from T14 with strong ties. Is there that much of a difference between YHS and MVP-->GULC in Miami hiring? Or has the market just improved? Or are the biglaw contacts I have out of touch with hiring?

Anonymous User

Re: Is Miami biglaw still 'that' competitive?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:28 pm

There's a big difference between HYS and T14 in Miami, for whatever reason. If you can articulate either some ties or a decent reason for coming to Miami and convince the firms you would come as an associate (not just bounce after the summer), you're going to do well in Miami coming from HYS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There's a big difference between HYS and T14 in Miami, for whatever reason. If you can articulate either some ties or a decent reason for coming to Miami and convince the firms you would come as an associate (not just bounce after the summer), you're going to do well in Miami coming from HYS.
Ok good this is reassuring. I don't think my ties could be stronger unless I had gone to UM law

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:04 pm

To add to the above: you may only get offers from the top fish because other firms will assume you'll go to the best. The top firms tend to take a while to make decisions so worth being patient.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To add to the above: you may only get offers from the top fish because other firms will assume you'll go to the best. The top firms tend to take a while to make decisions so worth being patient.

Top fish as in White & Case, GT, H&K? And is this in the context of 1L hiring or in general? I believe only W&C and Akerman are still hiring for this summer

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:47 pm

I work at a firm in Miami. I know that for 1Ls and sometimes 2Ls, if we receive a resume from someone from HYS, we will interview them even if we aren’t officially hiring at that point - because it’s usually rarer to get applicants if that caliber wanting to come to Miami.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To add to the above: you may only get offers from the top fish because other firms will assume you'll go to the best. The top firms tend to take a while to make decisions so worth being patient.

Top fish as in White & Case, GT, H&K? And is this in the context of 1L hiring or in general? I believe only W&C and Akerman are still hiring for this summer
Correct. I’m not the one you quoted, but I agree the higher ranked firms are more likely to extend an offer than the lower ranked ones. This shouldn’t matter, since the higher ranked firms are generally much better to work for (GT excepted).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Correct. I’m not the one you quoted, but I agree the higher ranked firms are more likely to extend an offer than the lower ranked ones. This shouldn’t matter, since the higher ranked firms are generally much better to work for (GT excepted).
Why does GT get a bad rep? I've heard sweatshop rumors but all Miami firms seem like a lot of hard work

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Correct. I’m not the one you quoted, but I agree the higher ranked firms are more likely to extend an offer than the lower ranked ones. This shouldn’t matter, since the higher ranked firms are generally much better to work for (GT excepted).
Why does GT get a bad rep? I've heard sweatshop rumors but all Miami firms seem like a lot of hard work
Associate in Miami.

GT pays similar to HK and Akerman, but those firms are more lifestyle firms (smaller deals, so not as chaotic).

The firms that work you hard in Miami (Weil, W&C, etc.) all pay significantly more than GT.

Therefore, if you want a good firm and a life outside of work, go to HK/Akerman (there are a few others in this group. Just referencing the larger offices). If you want to make bank, go to W&C, Weil, MWE, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:09 am

How do people assess the training at the top Florida firms vs the market-paying satellites?

It seems you can get a broader experience at the former, whereas the latter can be narrower, albeit with the potential for more sophisticated clients.

portsmouth14

New

Post by portsmouth14 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:10 am

Does anyone have information on where Stearns Weaver Miller falls compared to the top-notch florida firms? I know it is much smaller than Weil, White and Case, etc. but is it less prestigious? Pay less? More lifestyle? Really any info on that firm and its reputation would be very helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:34 pm

portsmouth14 wrote:Does anyone have information on where Stearns Weaver Miller falls compared to the top-notch florida firms? I know it is much smaller than Weil, White and Case, etc. but is it less prestigious? Pay less? More lifestyle? Really any info on that firm and its reputation would be very helpful.
Is a 4-office Florida firm that doesn't even sniff the AmLaw 100 less "prestigious" than two firms with dozens of international offices that are ranked in the top 20 in the world by revenue? You already know the answer to that question. Stearns Weaver isn't close to HK's level, much less Weil, W&C or Boies. But prestige shouldn't be the main factor in choosing where to work anyway -- QOL and salary matter way more. Stearns Weaver definitely doesn't pay market salary, but I can't speak to quality of life there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:37 pm

LHS17 wrote:How do people assess the training at the top Florida firms vs the market-paying satellites?

It seems you can get a broader experience at the former, whereas the latter can be narrower, albeit with the potential for more sophisticated clients.
I have not heard of vast disparities between the training or the experience offered at any of the biglaw firms in Miami. The job of a junior is the same everywhere. First years at Akerman aren't speaking in court any more than a first year at W&C would. If you want immediate hands on experience shitlaw is the way to go.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:17 pm

OP here. Is there a significant difference in lifestyle between HK and Akerman (or comparable firms like Shutts/Bilzin)? I believe HK bumped to 180 for first years and Akerman is presumably still at 160(?). I'd be happy getting an offer at either, and both salaries are v good purchasing power even servicing big debt, just wondering if Akerman is better QOL. My conception of a Miami lifestyle firm would be getting a decent (Miami) bonus at ~2,000 hours and be on partner track at ~2,200 assuming good work product and ability generate revenue. I have heard about the realistic path to partnership at Akerman

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LHS17 wrote:How do people assess the training at the top Florida firms vs the market-paying satellites?

I have not heard of vast disparities between the training or the experience offered at any of the biglaw firms in Miami. The job of a junior is the same everywhere. First years at Akerman aren't speaking in court any more than a first year at W&C would. If you want immediate hands on experience shitlaw is the way to go.
Sorry, I meant corporate. The platforms are quite different.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Is there a significant difference in lifestyle between HK and Akerman (or comparable firms like Shutts/Bilzin)? I believe HK bumped to 180 for first years and Akerman is presumably still at 160(?). I'd be happy getting an offer at either, and both salaries are v good purchasing power even servicing big debt, just wondering if Akerman is better QOL. My conception of a Miami lifestyle firm would be getting a decent (Miami) bonus at ~2,000 hours and be on partner track at ~2,200 assuming good work product and ability generate revenue. I have heard about the realistic path to partnership at Akerman
Anon working in Miami. I don’t think HK Miami is at 180 (HK only raised major markets and Miami isn’t a major market.). I think it’s 160/165. GT Miami is 165.

Nonequity partnership is realistic at Akerman even without 2200 hours for corporate, I’ve heard.

HK and Akerman aren’t very similar - one is Florida-centric and the other is more “global.” But both have better QOL. Bilzen is also similar in the QOL column.

Edit: I stand corrected. HK does pay 180 in Miami.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Is there a significant difference in lifestyle between HK and Akerman (or comparable firms like Shutts/Bilzin)? I believe HK bumped to 180 for first years and Akerman is presumably still at 160(?). I'd be happy getting an offer at either, and both salaries are v good purchasing power even servicing big debt, just wondering if Akerman is better QOL. My conception of a Miami lifestyle firm would be getting a decent (Miami) bonus at ~2,000 hours and be on partner track at ~2,200 assuming good work product and ability generate revenue. I have heard about the realistic path to partnership at Akerman
Anon working in Miami. I don’t think HK Miami is at 180 (HK only raised major markets and Miami isn’t a major market.). I think it’s 160/165. GT Miami is 165.

Nonequity partnership is realistic at Akerman even without 2200 hours for corporate, I’ve heard.

HK and Akerman aren’t very similar - one is Florida-centric and the other is more “global.” But both have better QOL. Bilzen is also similar in the QOL column.

HK raised Miami first years to 180 about a week ago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It’ll be interesting to see what the other firms do (primarily GT, Bilzen, Akerman).

Edit: Miami associate anon

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a source for this, anything get written about this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:57 pm

redsox550 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a source for this, anything get written about this?
They updated their comp on NALP

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
redsox550 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They updated their comp on NALP
Why raise now after recruiting season is over?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:39 am

HK, Akerman, and Bilzin are places where -2000 gets you a bonus and keeps you on partner track. And yes, Hk went to 180. Presumably others will follow suit come recruiting season, and make up the diffencs to star associates through their year-end bonuses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:14 pm

Does anyone know what Akerman pays to 3rd years? Also, H&K?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what Akerman pays to 3rd years? Also, H&K?
Anon because I work at one of the firms.

Akerman and HK are both kind of random after first year.

HK just moved to 180k in Miami, so I think a third year right now would be 195-205.

Akerman is still on the 160 scale and depending on the group, it could range from 170-180+ (laterals negotiate higher salaries).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:47 pm

I’m sort of surprised to see Akerman mentioned in the same league as HK, Weil, et al. Every time I see them in court they’re representing plaintiffs in garbage litigation just a tad more sophisticated than PI. Maybe my observations arn’t representative, but they’re frequent enough that I wonder what Akerman’s deal is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”