Is Miami biglaw still 'that' competitive? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Is Miami biglaw still 'that' competitive?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:25 pm

FLBAR0718 wrote:I don’t think Weil does ANY corporate work in Miami.

If you check chambers, you will get a general lay of the land. I think McDermott has been growing its Miami office.
Interviewed with Weil for a SA spot and they were exclusively hiring for lit, but I know they also do real estate. Don't think they do much, if any corporate work.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:01 pm

Before this year’s rasies, they would sometimes match or come close to it. After the raises, it’s probably tougher—especially at GT since they haven’t moved salaries while Hk has. No shot on bonuses. Still, you should factor in that Florida has no income tax and that Miami is relatively cheap for a larger city.
Anonymous User wrote:V5 corporate associate, HYS alum, Florida ties. Interested to know if top Miami corporate practices (HK, Greenberg) match NY base/bonus on a case by case basis. No plans of lateraling from current firm at the moment as experience/culture/team is great, but may want to move for personal reasons at some point.

elbg

New

Post by elbg » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:49 am

The HK/GT/etc. firms are bad on comp. If you want top of market, you'll need to try the larger national firms - Weil, MLB, Hogan, McDermott, WC, Boies - there may be a few others, and I'm not sure if all of those firms pay top. I think these firms lean strongly toward litigation, though. There's generally a very strong appetite for NYC biglaw laterals.

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:08 pm

McDermott and W&C are definitely strong in corporate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:45 am

Is WC on full NY lockstep now? I see that the comp on their NALP page for the Miami office jumped from 183 (the raise this summer when NY went to 190) to 190k

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is WC on full NY lockstep now? I see that the comp on their NALP page for the Miami office jumped from 183 (the raise this summer when NY went to 190) to 190k
Yes, full NY and bonus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is WC on full NY lockstep now? I see that the comp on their NALP page for the Miami office jumped from 183 (the raise this summer when NY went to 190) to 190k
Yes, full NY and bonus.
Is this serious? Do you know from firsthand experience? I'm trying to decide whether to target NY, DC or come back to Miami straight out of school, and if WC is on the NY scale that might change things for me

Silver

Post by 2013 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, full NY and bonus.
Is this serious? Do you know from firsthand experience? I'm trying to decide whether to target NY, DC or come back to Miami straight out of school, and if WC is on the NY scale that might change things for me
Wasn’t the White and Case scale already at a point where an associate in Miami would take home more than NY? I thought I heard that the bonus was always on NY scale.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:13 pm

Yup. WC went full NY. Not there but was recruited and friends are there now. So can confirm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:19 pm

They’re not bad on comp lol. But they don’t pay as much—which, by the way, is still a ton, especially when you factor in Col in miami.

But I agree. If you’re expected to consistently bill 2k-plus at GT/HK/Etc are a raw deal. For that, go to a NY-market-paying firm. But if you can bill less elsewhere and still be on a realistic path to partnership, then it’s worth taking a pay cut.

At least, that’s how I see it. A lot of that, of course, is group/partner specific. But make no mistake about it, the larger the firm’s clients, the more demanding they are. And that, by far, will drive what the firm’s expectations are.
elbg wrote:The HK/GT/etc. firms are bad on comp. If you want top of market, you'll need to try the larger national firms - Weil, MLB, Hogan, McDermott, WC, Boies - there may be a few others, and I'm not sure if all of those firms pay top. I think these firms lean strongly toward litigation, though. There's generally a very strong appetite for NYC biglaw laterals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:09 am

sflyr2016 wrote:Yup. WC went full NY. Not there but was recruited and friends are there now. So can confirm.
Damn that's a huge W; is there any reason not to take an offer there? And I imagine it might get more competitive now that they're on full NY scale. I bet most Miami people from my YHS will be gunning for WC now

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:51 pm

Depends what you want to do and what year you’re in. The money may be worth it if you’re *junior* and have no interest in building a book and/or making partner. But if you’re a mid level or above, I wouldn’t go somewhere you have virtually no shot at doing either.

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:40 pm

sflyr2016 wrote:Depends what you want to do and what year you’re in. The money may be worth it if you’re *junior* and have no interest in building a book and/or making partner. But if you’re a mid level or above, I wouldn’t go somewhere you have virtually no shot at doing either.
How do people like the culture there? People dump on GT here, but haven’t seen much about WC in recent threads.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:40 pm

LHS17 wrote:
sflyr2016 wrote:Depends what you want to do and what year you’re in. The money may be worth it if you’re *junior* and have no interest in building a book and/or making partner. But if you’re a mid level or above, I wouldn’t go somewhere you have virtually no shot at doing either.
How do people like the culture there? People dump on GT here, but haven’t seen much about WC in recent threads.
I’m at WC in Miami and I love it. It’s not perfect, especially hours-wise this year, but I think hours might be bad at a lot of firms because of how hot the market is right now. But the people are fantastic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:32 pm

WC has a had bad rep here—especially bk. Then again, I’ve met some who’ve gotten in with the right ppl/group and like it fine (like the poster above). It’s possible things have changed for the better recently. GT is basically WC hours without the pay.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:21 pm

Are the NALP 2019 summer stats correct? GT shows 9 in Miami (seems high) and WC 4 (seems low).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:WC has a had bad rep here—especially bk. Then again, I’ve met some who’ve gotten in with the right ppl/group and like it fine (like the poster above). It’s possible things have changed for the better recently. GT is basically WC hours without the pay.
I’m the poster above—bk is definitely the toughest group to be in here

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:34 pm

Uh, I'd rather take an extra 100k+ annually for 2-4 years than gamble on making partner at these firms (you're not going to make partner).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Uh, I'd rather take an extra 100k+ annually for 2-4 years than gamble on making partner at these firms (you're not going to make partner).
I work at one of the non-market firms. I don’t think you’ll be making over 100k annually over a GT/Holland & Knight associate until maybe 6th year assuming you hit hours for bonus. I have friends at some of the market firms and hours aren’t the easiest to come by for the seniors they work with because they’re competing with the Miami rates at HK (senior associate is probably $200-300 cheaper/hr in some practice groups).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I work at one of the non-market firms. I don’t think you’ll be making over 100k annually over a GT/Holland & Knight associate until maybe 6th year assuming you hit hours for bonus. I have friends at some of the market firms and hours aren’t the easiest to come by for the seniors they work with because they’re competing with the Miami rates at HK (senior associate is probably $200-300 cheaper/hr in some practice groups).
AFAIK, the firms paying NY do a lot of non-Miami work so they don't have to deal with billing rate discrepancies. Anyway, not looking to argue, but in my experience, the only two things that really matter in biglaw are the time commitments and the compensation. If the time is the same, there's very little that can justify not getting paid an extra 50-100k. But to each his own.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
AFAIK, the firms paying NY do a lot of non-Miami work so they don't have to deal with billing rate discrepancies. Anyway, not looking to argue, but in my experience, the only two things that really matter in biglaw are the time commitments and the compensation. If the time is the same, there's very little that can justify not getting paid an extra 50-100k. But to each his own.

Bad advice. For starters, the discrepancy isn’t 100. It is significant, though. But being a senior-level associate with virtually no shot a partnership (or worse—being passed up), no book, and no real business ties in the area is far from ideal. I’ve seen it happen quite a bit, even to a close friend. They eventually get forced out or jump elsewhere for a major pay cut, as they aren’t exactly marketable at that point, hoping they can make partner at smaller shop.

Conversely, I’ve seen others who started or lateraled to HK/Bilzin/Stearns/Akerman/etc before their 6th year and coasted their way into partnership. And say what you want, but being a parter at any one of those firms is better than being a 10th-year associate at WC/HL who got passed up for partner and has absolutely no book or real market ties down here.

For most lawyers, practicing is a long game. 30 years, plus. Too many, though, get blinded by short-term stuff and don’t realize their mistake ‘till it’s too late. That’s my two cents on it, at least.

As for the money, I’d rather take a “pay cut” and bill under 2k, than work 200-400 hours to make 50k more. That should be factored in, too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Bad advice. For starters, the discrepancy isn’t 100. It is significant, though. But being a senior-level associate with virtually no shot a partnership (or worse—being passed up), no book, and no real business ties in the area is far from ideal. I’ve seen it happen quite a bit, even to a close friend. They eventually get forced out or jump elsewhere for a major pay cut, as they aren’t exactly marketable at that point, hoping they can make partner at smaller shop.

Conversely, I’ve seen others who started or lateraled to HK/Bilzin/Stearns/Akerman/etc before their 6th year and coasted their way into partnership. And say what you want, but being a parter at any one of those firms is better than being a 10th-year associate at WC/HL who got passed up for partner and has absolutely no book or real market ties down here.

For most lawyers, practicing is a long game. 30 years, plus. Too many, though, get blinded by short-term stuff and don’t realize their mistake ‘till it’s too late. That’s my two cents on it, at least.

As for the money, I’d rather take a “pay cut” and bill under 2k, than work 200-400 hours to make 50k more. That should be factored in, too.
Is there an argument that WC / MWE / HL training is better than the native firms? What is the best time to lateral to HK / Akerman, etc. if playing the long game? Posting anonymously for obvious reasons.

elbg

New

Post by elbg » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:50 pm

The long game is being completely exaggerated. You don't just walk into the partnership at HK/Greenberg etc. That's laughable on its face. These are massive global firms. You don't show up as a sixth year and say, "one partnership, please."

He is correct, in general, that you should not always chase short term career prospects over long term ones. But you will be sorely mistaken if your career plan is "lateral to Akerman as a 6th year and easily become partner."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:50 pm

No later than 6th year (honestly, prob better as a 5th). Those firms tend to have a 2-3 year bar against laterals even being considered for partnership. That will allow you to get on partner track without delay and with plenty of time to build the necessary relationships internally. Any sooner and you’re leaving money on the table.

As for training, it can go either way. But in general, probably yes for deal work. But probably no for litigation, as you’ll likely get much more substantive experience sooner at native firms. That, however, depends mostly on who you mainly work under and how invested they are in training you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is there an argument that WC / MWE / HL training is better than the native firms? What is the best time to lateral to HK / Akerman, etc. if playing the long game? Posting anonymously for obvious reasons.
I’m at one of H&K/GT/Akerman/Bilzin. I think the training is probably better at the native firms, especially akerman and bilzin because that is the center of gravity of the firms.

Best time to lateral will be 4-5 year. The non-market firms do pay their laterals better. By 4-5 years, you will no longer need to be trained and you will still have time to develop ties and generate business by the time junior partnership rolls around at 8-10 years at these firms.

FWIW, my friend waited til 7th year to lateral to Akerman from a market firm and Akerman has a very strict 2-year waiting period for non-equity partnership, so he has to wait until after 9th year even though his supervisor wants him to be promoted this year. Non-equity partners at these firms probably make 300-400 depending on the form, which is obviously lower than a senior associate at a market paying firm after bonus, but it’s all about career trajectory.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”