What to wear to a lunch meeting/interview? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pineappletoday

New

What to wear to a lunch meeting/interview?

Post by pineappletoday » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:34 am

For the past few months, I have been emailing with an alumni from my school who is a partner at a firm in my home city. He has invited me to have lunch with him and and the other managing partner when I am home over the holidays. Should I wear a suit to this lunch or something slightly more casual? I am a 3L looking for post-grad employment. The firm was hiring a lateral a few months ago. This is how I came into contact with the alum as I applied for the position despite still being in school. He liked my resume and asked me to keep in touch over the coming months but warned me they wouldn't be sure of their hiring needs (that was a few months ago).

Should I assume this is more of networking lunch and therefore a little more causal? Or more like an interview and therefore more formal? I will obviously prepare as if it's an interview with copies of the resume, writing sample, etc. But I don't want to be over or under dressed. Thanks!

deference

New

Re: What to wear to a lunch meeting/interview?

Post by deference » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:38 am

Always err on the side of being overdressed. Looks more like an informational interview but I'd go in in business attire but perhaps do away with the tie the lighten it a tad bit given that it's a lunch.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:00 pm

Depends where this is. In LA I wouldn’t dress up for a lunch. Now that it’s winter there’s probably a way to look good (e.g. a nice sweater, dark pants) without wearing a suit. That’s what I’d do.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Depends on your home city. Miami, LA, SF, Seattle, etc. - I wouldn't dress up for lunch (button up and dark pants is fine). Other places, you might consider it. Just think about the culture of your home city and do what feels right.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:41 pm

deference wrote:Always err on the side of being overdressed. Looks more like an informational interview but I'd go in in business attire but perhaps do away with the tie the lighten it a tad bit given that it's a lunch.
Agree. At minimum, I'd do business casual. Most definitely don't wear jeans or a T-shirt or anything. The partners may not mind casual wear, but even if so, they wouldn't look down on an aspiring applicant for dressing to impress.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”