Is there a path to Big Law for me? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is there a path to Big Law for me?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:35 pm

I’m a second year associate at a mid size defense firm in NYC. I practice strictly litigation in state court and quite enjoy the work. My firm is great, very flexible, and pay market (or at least I believe). I would like to keep pushing myself further and I feel that state court and working on behalf of insurance companies is holding me back a bit.

My law school grades are median and my school is ranked 50-60. Is there path for me for big law? Am I the type of associate-lateral they look for? Alternatively, what are other exit options for an Insurance Defense Attorney at a known regional mid sized firm? Thanks for any help.

Silver

Re: Is there a path to Big Law for me?

Post by 2013 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:49 pm

You’d probably have to take a pay cut in that you’d have to go to a lower vault firm that doesn’t pay market. Afterwards, you could probably break into a better, market firm. But I wouldn’t say it’s impossible for you to break into biglaw if that’s what you’re aiming for.

You probably have more hands-on experience now, so just play that up.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:01 pm

Try to clerk on a ssc or fed. It’ll be hard with those grades, but you’ll see the occasional last-minute opening with a mag judge or something if you look closely for long enough and are geographical flexible

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:25 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:Try to clerk on a ssc or fed. It’ll be hard with those grades, but you’ll see the occasional last-minute opening with a mag judge or something if you look closely for long enough and are geographical flexible
I’ve already clerked for a state supreme judge.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:I’m a second year associate at a mid size defense firm in NYC. I practice strictly litigation in state court and quite enjoy the work. My firm is great, very flexible, and pay market (or at least I believe). I would like to keep pushing myself further and I feel that state court and working on behalf of insurance companies is holding me back a bit.

My law school grades are median and my school is ranked 50-60. Is there path for me for big law? Am I the type of associate-lateral they look for? Alternatively, what are other exit options for an insurance defense attorney at a known regional mid sized firm? Thanks for any help.
You are not the type of associate biglaw firms look for lateraling.
Your best bet is to network and get someone inside a firm at least advocating you be interviewed. If your firm is flexible and your hours aren’t long, you should be able to manage creating a network and working it for a job.

I honestly don’t understand why you want to leave if you enjoy the work and the firm. “Pushing yourself” can be done in other ways than trying to move to a biglaw firm. If you were unhappy or were all about making money, I would understand a bit more. You’re reason for moving seem abstract and maybe more about your ego than your career?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:27 pm

If you’ve already clerked ssc, I would try to leverage that to a top ssc (ca ny even ma) or magistrate or ideally article 3, then network network network and I think you’ve got a real shot.

I’ll second the poster who said best way in is through attorney at firm, and the way to get there is via network

My view of your chances isn’t as pessimistic as others’ views might be because I lateraled into biglaw as somewhat non traditional.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:30 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:If you’ve already clerked ssc, I would try to leverage that to a top ssc (ca ny even ma) or magistrate or ideally article 3, then network network network and I think you’ve got a real shot.

I’ll second the poster who said best way in is through attorney at firm, and the way to get there is via network

My view of your chances isn’t as pessimistic as others’ views might be because I lateraled into biglaw as somewhat non traditional.
Appreciate it. And I’ve been on this site for 5 years, most of which involved posters telling me I’ll never make it and I should drop out of law school etc. It was great motivation to get where I’m at now and where I’d like to be.

Thanks all for the advice, it’s clearer now.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:If you’ve already clerked ssc, I would try to leverage that to a top ssc (ca ny even ma) or magistrate or ideally article 3, then network network network and I think you’ve got a real shot.

Appreciate it. And I’ve been on this site for 5 years, most of which involved posters telling me I’ll never make it and I should drop out of law school etc. It was great motivation to get where I’m at now and where I’d like to be.

Thanks all for the advice, it’s clearer now.
You specifically asked “am I the type of associate-lateral they look for?”
The answer to that question is no. I’m not sure why you asked the question if you don’t want the answer.

No one has said you can’t find another job if that’s what you want or that “you’ll never make it.”

Asking why a poster may want to move to a new job can help with the advice. If you don’t want to answer, that’s fine. But no one is telling you not to try.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:10 pm

I think there’s a legitimate but prevailing view on this site that the way to get prestigious is to land a summer sa then clerk then do biglaw and then you can lower your prestige from there after paying loans or whatever. That’s a very valid path because it’s so common (and it’s also probably the easiest by many metrics), but it’s definitelt not the only one. In my decent sized market, I hear about people lateraling “up” to biglaw from govt or something l as prestigious or clerkship perhaps even more often that I hear people lateraling out to boutiques or whatever. I mean maybe that’s random and unique but the point is it’s not a completely uncommon phenomenon (helps that lit seems warm right now).

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:06 am

IIRC, only a few Cali Justices hire, and they're as competitive as a federal COA clerkship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”