Lateral.ly? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral.ly?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:22 pm

Does this site work better than recruiters? I read in a previous thread that they’ve made it significantly harder to get approved (which is weird given how active the job market seems to be),

Anyone have any insight? Success or horror stories?

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral.ly?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:25 pm

Used them to move from a V10 NY firm to a V50 in a different market. Got a lot of interviews very quickly and they handled a lot of the prep (e.g. didn't have to write cover letters, got a lot of help reworking my resume, etc.) I appreciated that they worked like a law firm (quick responses, etc.) and were very personalized/tailored to my situation. I'll use them again if I ever make another move. I haven't worked with another recruiter so I'm not sure how they compare but I was satisfied with how the process went.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:58 pm

Didn't use them, but wish I had. My recruiter kind of sucked and I've heard good things about theirs. Plus they pay you a signing bonus. They also seem to have a comprehensive list of which firms are hiring for what and where. Also I love their move tracker.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Didn't use them, but wish I had. My recruiter kind of sucked and I've heard good things about theirs. Plus they pay you a signing bonus. They also seem to have a comprehensive list of which firms are hiring for what and where. Also I love their move tracker.
Great move tracker.... It will tell you, by form, where attorneys came from and went to, what schools they went to and their career path.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:39 pm

Thanks for all of the responses. Is Laterally a recruiter? Does it also charge employers 30% of salary like a traditional recruiter?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:30 am

Why are you all posting anonymously? Is this spam?

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:18 am

Wild Card wrote:Why are you all posting anonymously? Is this spam?

Yeah...these reviews are a little too glowing. Seems fishy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:47 am

They won’t work with people who aren’t already at Vault ranked firms and don’t have a good enough educational background. Still salty about my rejection :(

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51 pm

I haven’t been too impressed. They’re weirdly strict, too. Even though I’m in a typical market paying white shoe vault firm, they randomly deactivate my account and I have to email them. Seems dumb. The only good thing is the move tracker, but even that has incomplete data.

Seems like they’re trying to put a techie spin recruiting, but really it’s basically the same. There’s just a website now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:38 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:I haven’t been too impressed. They’re weirdly strict, too. Even though I’m in a typical market paying white shoe vault firm, they randomly deactivate my account and I have to email them. Seems dumb. The only good thing is the move tracker, but even that has incomplete data.

Seems like they’re trying to put a techie spin recruiting, but really it’s basically the same. There’s just a website now.

Pfft. Yeah right Colonel Campbell. With that username, I already know you are just advanced AI made by the Patriots.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:41 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:I haven’t been too impressed. They’re weirdly strict, too. Even though I’m in a typical market paying white shoe vault firm, they randomly deactivate my account and I have to email them. Seems dumb. The only good thing is the move tracker, but even that has incomplete data.

OP here.

So, they still collect the 30% finder’s fee, I’m assuming, which explains why they’re so selective.

I guess it is really no better than using a recruiter. I know that as a more junior associate, I am at a disadvantage using a recruiter (I do some recruiting for my firm and I know we strongly prefer self-apply or employee referral).

It’s just so much work going through and finding jobs for NY so I was hoping this was a different scheme.

Oh well. Thanks for your input!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:They won’t work with people who aren’t already at Vault ranked firms and don’t have a good enough educational background. Still salty about my rejection :(
I got accepted in 10 minutes and I don't work at a vault firm.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:57 am

Have to laugh at the domain name. I hear Libya is a hot lateral market :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:16 am

The site is kind of strange. The move tracker is the best part of it.

I got rejected. I graduated top third of my top 20 school, have been working at my v50 for a couple years, and I’m in a high-demand area.

I asked for them to reconsider and they just ignored me.

I ended up using a traditional recruiting agency and have had success using them.

Not really sure what the algorithm is for accepting/rejecting, but I think they only take slam dunks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”