Ideas for Getting Work as a First Year? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ideas for Getting Work as a First Year?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:27 pm

I'm *technically* a second year (clerked for a year) and I just started in Lit at biglaw in NYC. I'm pretty slow right now--I'm on a trial team that may heat up sometime next year. I'm slow. I've read other threads and know it's not a bad sign that I'm slow right now since I just started, but I'm trying to solicit ideas.

Maybe the major point is that at my firm we have an assigning partner, but apparently nobody ever goes to him for work... i.e., if you're busy, you don't need to go to him. I know I just started etc., but I think I'd still like to avoid that route if I can. I've had some good interactions with partners at social events (my firm is not super social), and I hope I can parlay those interactions into some work, but with the holiday this week I haven't been super aggressive about it.

Cold emailing, talking to people at social events... is there anything I'm missing? Any other general thoughts? Thanks and happy TG all.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Re: Ideas for Getting Work as a First Year?

Post by toast and bananas » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:46 pm

How long ago did you start? It can take upwards of 4+ months to get plugged in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:06 pm

toast and bananas wrote:How long ago did you start? It can take upwards of 4+ months to get plugged in.
about a month ago.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Maybe the major point is that at my firm we have an assigning partner, but apparently nobody ever goes to him for work... i.e., if you're busy, you don't need to go to him. I know I just started etc., but I think I'd still like to avoid that route if I can.
Why are you so against going to the assigning partner? Does he have a terrible rep?

Unless he's known to be terrible, going to the assigning partner could absolutely be the right move for you, as the new kid on the block. The more senior associates didn't start out knowing everyone - it's very possible they got their start back in the day by going to the assigning partner.
Anonymous User wrote:I've had some good interactions with partners at social events (my firm is not super social), and I hope I can parlay those interactions into some work, but with the holiday this week I haven't been super aggressive about it.
No, I wouldn't be super aggressive this week, unless you desperately want to work over Thanksgiving.

Why not simply outright ask those partners you've met for work? You aren't asking them for a favor - you're an employee there to work. This isn't some kind of elaborate courtship ritual where you have to try and drop hints and make excuses to spend more time with them and read their body language before making a move.

All in all, you started a month ago! Don't worry about it - seriously. It sounds like you're already putting yourself out there and letting people know you're available for work. Just keep it up and you'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”