Business Development? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Business Development?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:18 pm

I'm a junior/midlevel associate in a major market (NY/LA/Chi). I practice commercial/L&E lit. I am not sure how to broach the business development subject -- especially where most people seemingly either inherit clients or have no idea what they did to get them in the first place. For those of you at firms that place an emphasis on BD, what did you do to start the process? Any practical tips?

Shaggier1

Silver

Re: Business Development?

Post by Shaggier1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:39 pm

Take the long view and consider every lawyer you meet (including your colleagues at the firm) a potential client. You never know who will go in-house.

In the meantime, make time to network and try to develop subject matter expertise (and turn that into panel talks and CLE seminars, etc).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”