Anyone live or have lived in Omaha? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawworld19

Bronze

Anyone live or have lived in Omaha?

Post by Lawworld19 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:00 pm

Thinking of taking a job there. Good, bad? Growing?

Anonymous User

Re: Anyone live or have lived in Omaha?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:29 am

People from St. Louis make fun of how small Omaha is. Tht should clue you in.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:24 am

I’m not from Omaha but from relatively nearby and have family in Omaha.

The only positive thing I can say about it is the low cost of living and the fact that the college World Series (baseball) is played there.

It’s just a Midwestern town literally surrounded by cornfields for hundreds of miles, some people fit it really well into that setting but it’s no cosmopolitan metropolis by any means.

You could do really well in Omaha by, say, bunkering down and working for a market-paying firm, living very cheaply and hoarding money, escaping to Colorado a few times per year to keep your sanity, and relying on online gaming/chat rooms to socialize. Then get out after you have a nest egg and some practical experience under your belt.

Other than that, I would never recommend for anyone to live there.

Chortitza

New

Post by Chortitza » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:46 pm

I spent 7 years in Omaha and while the city doesn't have a lot going in some respects, it certainly makes up for them in others. The low cost of living is fantastic (check out Zillow/Redfin/etc., what you can buy will blow you away), the Old Market area downtown is great for restaurants, bars, and coffeehouses, and the people are terrific. As an additional plus, the airport is 20 minutes tops and flights are pretty good for when you need/want to get away.

If you have specific questions, feel free to DM. On the whole, I enjoyed my time in Omaha and would not hesitate to move back if I had the right opportunity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:17 pm

If you have only lived in large cities and are single, think very hard about it because it might not be for you. Omaha is a nice place if you're coming from a rural background or if you have a spouse and a family (or are looking to start one), though. Hard question to answer without knowing your experience. For many people in smaller communities in Nebraska and Iowa, Omaha is the business and cultural hub. For people who spent their whole lives in LA or NY, totally different story.

htownsublet

New

Post by htownsublet » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:37 am

I've heard it's an underrated place. Great food and people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”