Firm group w/no junior associates means what Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
paradiselost9

New

Firm group w/no junior associates means what

Post by paradiselost9 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:44 pm

I was looking at WilmerHale’s IP litigation groups. They have 107 lawyers altogether, but none of them are junior associates. I would like someone to generally explain what that means. I don’t know what question to ask. There’s something I don’t know, but I don’t know what it is. The only part of me I have is ignorant. It sees at that and wonders where are all the juniors.

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Re: Firm group w/no junior associates means what

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Perhaps WilmerHale (i) doesn't assign juniors to a specific sub-group within litigation, (ii) doesn't list its junior associates as belonging to specific groups on its public website or (iii) eats junior associates alive and all its former IP litigation juniors are dead and being digested.

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:16 pm

This is common at many firms - you will be slotted into litigation or corporate when you start, but you don't pick (or get placed into) a more specific group until later. That said, there are definitely people at any firm who specialize (including in IP litigation) before they are formally slotted into that group.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:50 pm

Also, it's very unlikely this is the case for IP lit at Wilmer, but many firms will have small, niche practice areas that only list partners or counsel. These are usually areas where there isn't a lot of regular work, so don't require any associates specifically assigned to the practice, but the firm still wants to highlight/advertise their capabilities in the niche.

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:16 am

For WH specifically, juniors start out in the general IP group, which encompasses prosecution, litigation, and transactions. As they get more senior, they pick which sub-specialty of IP they want to practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”