Using school email address on business card Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
L_William_W

Bronze

Using school email address on business card

Post by L_William_W » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:04 am

I work for a law firm in Westchester, just outside of NYC. I want to make business cards. The cards will feature the firm's name, address, and phone number. However, I want to include information in case someone wants to contact me directly. I have three email addresses- two of them are Yahoo and they're not professional-sounding. My third email address is my school email. Is it ok to put it on a business card or should I create a new, more professional email address?

gingerbread

New

Re: Using school email address on business card

Post by gingerbread » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:43 am

Don't you have a firm email address? If not, think you should just make a new gmail. Some people use school emails forever (I do), but they make you look like a recent grad and that undersells your current experience level. Just yesterday an associate used a school email address as her personal contact info in her departure memo -- I actually pulled her up on the intranet because I assumed she was a first year and was wondering if she got fired. To my surprise, she had been practicing like 6 years. :lol:

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:45 am

Firm e-mail address is best. Failing that, create a professional Gmail or Apple e-mail account. Consider including "law" or "Esq." in it for clarity. No AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail, or similar, as those will send the wrong message to some potential clients.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:33 pm

gingerbread wrote:Don't you have a firm email address? If not, think you should just make a new gmail. Some people use school emails forever (I do), but they make you look like a recent grad and that undersells your current experience level. Just yesterday an associate used a school email address as her personal contact info in her departure memo -- I actually pulled her up on the intranet because I assumed she was a first year and was wondering if she got fired. To my surprise, she had been practicing like 6 years. :lol:
Third the "use firm email address" recommendation. Failing that, I'd actually lean more in favor of using a school email address than a Gmail. (Although I agree that Gmail > Yahoo/Hotmail/AOL/etc.). IMO, a .edu address looks far more respectable/professional than a Gmail, which anyone can get.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:31 pm

L_William_W wrote:I work for a law firm in Westchester, just outside of NYC. I want to make business cards. The cards will feature the firm's name, address, and phone number. However, I want to include information in case someone wants to contact me directly. I have three email addresses- two of them are Yahoo and they're not professional-sounding. My third email address is my school email. Is it ok to put it on a business card or should I create a new, more professional email address?
I'd confirm with the firm first to see if they're ok with this. Since it sounds like you are a student and not a lawyer, they may not want you handing out business cards with their firm name.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:11 pm

JohnnieSockran wrote:
L_William_W wrote:I work for a law firm in Westchester, just outside of NYC. I want to make business cards. The cards will feature the firm's name, address, and phone number. However, I want to include information in case someone wants to contact me directly. I have three email addresses- two of them are Yahoo and they're not professional-sounding. My third email address is my school email. Is it ok to put it on a business card or should I create a new, more professional email address?
I'd confirm with the firm first to see if they're ok with this. Since it sounds like you are a student and not a lawyer, they may not want you handing out business cards with their firm name.
It may actually be an ethical violation to hold yourself out as working for this firm as a lawyer if you are a student.
I would not make business cards with the firm name unless you are a practicing attorney employed by them and they agree.
It doesn’t sound like you work for them if you are using your personal address.
You need to make a professional email for yourself, anyway. Just make personal business cards to hand out if you want or need them.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:52 pm

He's not a student, he's an attorney, at least based on previous posts, so that's not an issue.

But I agree, OP, that you should use your firm e-mail, and I'm not sure why you would even not consider that? If you're using your firm address/position, then use your firm e-mail. If you want to be using the cards for non-business purposes such that you wouldn't want people contacting you via your firm e-mail, you probably shouldn't put the firm address etc. on there either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”