Advice please

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 326387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Advice please

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 am

So to make a long story short.... I am at a small firm and my supervising partner said there are no guarantees about the future and layoffs could be coming.

Now I am trying not to freak out. I have been applying to firms and reaching out to contacts all over my state. I now have an interview scheduled tomorrow and another one Monday. I already got a silent ding from one big firm and may have been dinged on another firm I interviewed with a couple weeks ago.

So trying to stay calm and keep job searching. Any advice is welcome. I really want one of these next interviews to turn into an offer....

Thank you...

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Advice please

Postby QContinuum » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:10 pm

Sorry to hear this. At least your supervising partner gave you a heads-up. Not much you can do at this point aside from continuing to apply & work your network. If you do get The Talk before you land an offer elsewhere, negotiate for more time on the firm website.

Best wishes!

Anonymous User
Posts: 326387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Advice please

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:26 pm

QContinuum wrote:Sorry to hear this. At least your supervising partner gave you a heads-up. Not much you can do at this point aside from continuing to apply & work your network. If you do get The Talk before you land an offer elsewhere, negotiate for more time on the firm website.

Best wishes!



Thanks. He claims our department should be ok... but I honestly do not trust him. I am trying to network and interview as much as I can so I can give my 2 weeks notice. Hopefully will land something soon...

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Advice please

Postby QContinuum » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:Sorry to hear this. At least your supervising partner gave you a heads-up. Not much you can do at this point aside from continuing to apply & work your network. If you do get The Talk before you land an offer elsewhere, negotiate for more time on the firm website.

Best wishes!



Thanks. He claims our department should be ok... but I honestly do not trust him. I am trying to network and interview as much as I can so I can give my 2 weeks notice. Hopefully will land something soon...


Yea if it's a small firm and he's already warned you of impending layoffs... I think you're right to be looking urgently. Best case scenario, you find something and leave, and your boss gets another associate to fill your spot instead of laying him off.

malibustacy

Bronze
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:34 am

Re: Advice please

Postby malibustacy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:07 am

You got a heads up from a guy who thinks his department will be okay. Chill out and do good work instead of looking like a deer in the headlights interviewing/applying for every job in the state; basically means you're one step out the door and guarantees you'll be fired if there is firing.

Are you actually willing to move anywhere in the state, just so you can say "you can't fire me I quit"? That's a huge disruption. Your situation sucks, but you just gotta see where things go before freaking out and making drastic moves.

Anonymous User
Posts: 326387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Advice please

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:03 am

malibustacy wrote:You got a heads up from a guy who thinks his department will be okay. Chill out and do good work instead of looking like a deer in the headlights interviewing/applying for every job in the state; basically means you're one step out the door and guarantees you'll be fired if there is firing.

Are you actually willing to move anywhere in the state, just so you can say "you can't fire me I quit"? That's a huge disruption. Your situation sucks, but you just gotta see where things go before freaking out and making drastic moves.


I’ve been in a similar situation at another firm and was laid off. The managing partner said don’t worry you won’t be laid off (laid off weeks later). I also want to be looking regardless because my growth is limited at my current firm.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.