Tax LLM or certificate? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tax LLM or certificate?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:56 pm

I am considering doing a tax LLM or advanced professional certificate to build up my record. I am pretty decent at school and think that if I go in now I could get strong results, but have a recent period in my record that does not look as strong for personal reasons. My hope is that this will make me a better hire. Would prefer not to bankrupt myself, but if needs must. Any thoughts on feasibility, whether a program like this helps you get a job, scholarships? Thanks very much.

QContinuum

Re: Tax LLM or certificate?

Post by QContinuum » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:42 pm

No, adding degrees is unlikely to help improve your job prospects. The only exception is a Tax LL.M. from NYU, Georgetown, or (possibly) Florida. Do not shell out the $ for a Tax LL.M. at your current school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:23 pm

QContinuum wrote:No, adding degrees is unlikely to help improve your job prospects. The only exception is a Tax LL.M. from NYU, Georgetown, or (possibly) Florida. Do not shell out the $ for a Tax LL.M. at your current school.
OP here. Thank you. Can we say NYU and I do well there. Is this likely to help? Is this a maybe, but good chance you're just out the $ situation, or do you have to actively f up some recruiting process/have super bad luck?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:No, adding degrees is unlikely to help improve your job prospects. The only exception is a Tax LL.M. from NYU, Georgetown, or (possibly) Florida. Do not shell out the $ for a Tax LL.M. at your current school.
OP here. Thank you. Can we say NYU and I do well there. Is this likely to help? Is this a maybe, but good chance you're just out the $ situation, or do you have to actively f up some recruiting process/have super bad luck?
Currently in the program. About 20% of class have job offers already (1st semester). Most big4, some smaller market medium size firms at big law rates. Unless you really mess up, you can get a job. The name goes a LONG way. I had mediocre JD grades and was just hired.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Currently in the program. About 20% of class have job offers already (1st semester). Most big4, some smaller market medium size firms at big law rates. Unless you really mess up, you can get a job. The name goes a LONG way. I had mediocre JD grades and was just hired.
Thanks for the insight and congrats on your offer!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”