Is Antitrust career suicide? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
El_Bee_Oh

New

Is Antitrust career suicide?

Post by El_Bee_Oh » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:37 pm

I find antitrust to be a fascinating area of law, have relevant experience prior to law school, and am going to a firm that is well regarded in the space. The issue is I, like most incoming associates, doubt I will end up making partner. Given how specialized the work is, are there plentiful decent quality exit opportunities to in house etc.? Is it any harder/easier to make partner than other areas of litigation or is it one of those areas where you can stick around as of counsel indefinitely? Thanks.

Silver

Re: Is Antitrust career suicide?

Post by 2013 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:54 pm

You will notice this when you start, but many attorneys in specialty groups tend to have longer stints in biglaw. Because they aren’t as easily replaceable, I think they aren’t pushed out as quickly or often. That’s why for many specialty groups, you end up seeing so many of counsel and partners for those groups.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:03 pm

Yes, there are fewer antitrust partners but there are also fewer antitrust associates. Your chance of making partner will depend too much on firm-specific factors to tell and you really should never go into a biglaw firm expecting to make partner. If you are interested in antitrust, though, picking a firm with strong litigation and deal practices is probably a better fit as you'll get a better variety of work and maybe be in a position to transition to be an antitrust service partner a little down the line if you don't make it at your first firm. And the practice area is actually very "deal focused" so there are interesting in-house opportunities if you find you don't like the litigation stuff as much. I know antitrust lawyers who do not do any antitrust litigation they just advise on the antitrust aspects of deals.
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

ICFMFWIWY

New

Post by ICFMFWIWY » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:52 am

No, going to law school is career suicide

ball is life

New

Post by ball is life » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:54 pm

As far as I understand, antitrust-specific exit options are going to be gov (e.g. DOJ, FTC) and boutique firms that will be materially similar to biglaw as far as pay and hours (e.g. Axinn). However, depending on how you firm arranges it's antitrust group you might be able to have the regular litigation exit of going to a smaller firm with less hours and less pay if you work only on litigation or in-house if you work on a lot of deals.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

El_Bee_Oh

New

Post by El_Bee_Oh » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:52 pm

Thanks this is all very helpful. Any thoughts generally on antitrust as a practice group in terms of work quality and lifestyle?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:57 pm

There are also IP Litigation practice groups that put a premium on having Antitrust knowledge because it often intersects with IP.

El_Bee_Oh

New

Post by El_Bee_Oh » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:45 am

Is it worth doing antitrust outside of DC? Do any other secondary markets have good antitrust presence, and/or is it worth doing at a regional office of a DC-focused firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:59 pm

The vast majority of antitrust deal work is in DC and NY (more in DC). I get the sense that you can do antitrust litigation in other markets (eg San Francisco) but that a lot of that is also based out of DC and NY.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:10 am

I don’t disagree with any specific here, but I do think the overall impression of this thread is a bit too rosy. You can totally have a successful career as a pure antitrust lawyer, but there are downsides imo. It’s a niche practice that doesn’t have a lot of the benefits of most niche practices (ie, there aren’t a lot of specialized in house positions, niche boutiques etc). The government options are pretty decent, but jobs at DOJ/FTC aren’t easy to get, and my impression is that they are happy to hire more generalist litigators who do a fair amount of antitrust work, rather than focusing on people who spend all there time in an antitrust group.

rk42

New

Post by rk42 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:47 am

Do deal-focused antitrust lawyers have similar in-house opportunities as other corp associates?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:57 pm

No. Antitrust deal lawyers file HSRs (a regulatory filing for deals above a certain size) and engage in advocacy before the antitrust agencies and responding to Second Requests (basically a subpoena the FTC or DOJ issue if a deal poses competitive issues). This is mostly the province of outside counsel. Antitrust deal lawyers don’t do a ton of work on the transaction agreement itself besides advising on the antitrust provisions, which typically doesn’t take a lot of time.

Large companies (eg Google, Amazon, Walmart) all have in-house antitrust counsel but these positions are much more rare than M&A positions and generally involve all sorts of antitrust work (litigation, a lot of counseling, some deal work, etc.).

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:26 pm

El_Bee_Oh wrote:I find antitrust to be a fascinating area of law, have relevant experience prior to law school, and am going to a firm that is well regarded in the space. The issue is I, like most incoming associates, doubt I will end up making partner. Given how specialized the work is, are there plentiful decent quality exit opportunities to in house etc.? Is it any harder/easier to make partner than other areas of litigation or is it one of those areas where you can stick around as of counsel indefinitely? Thanks.
Making partner is a risk in any area. You should look at what your firm has been doing with of counsel roles. There may be other associates in line at the firm.
Anti-trust is highly specialized but I’ve seen lawyers that practice it have a good life style.
There aren’t as many jobs as from M and A but your life will be worse.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:57 am

At least on the litigation side, the ins-and-outs of the practice are not that different from other complex litigation, and should be marketable outside the antitrust area. There is a fair amount of class action work, MDLs, and other complex work with experts and discovery, which is good training for litigation generally. Antitrust litigators also deal with consumer-protection statutes, since many antitrust claims are couched as, or brought alongside, consumer claims. So your experience will include consumer class actions more generally, likely under a variety of state and federal statutes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”