What's the consensus on following up after call back? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What's the consensus on following up after call back?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:34 am

I've have been waiting for close to three weeks now after a call back with a big firm. Should I follow up? Or keep waiting? I am guessing that I am probably in a hold pile, so I wonder if following up would do me any good. I would really like a definitive answer so I can stop waking up every morning with rekindled hope though. :(

QContinuum

Re: What's the consensus on following up after call back?

Post by QContinuum » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:06 pm

If it's been three weeks of radio silence, and you haven't already followed up with recruiting, you can certainly check in with them, indicating your continued interest in the firm. (Reach out to recruiting, not to the partners you interviewed with.)

But I wouldn't get your hopes up. Lots of BigLaw firms, from what I've observed on TLS and in my own limited experience, apparently prefer "ghosting" to outright rejecting folks. If you haven't heard anything for three weeks, it's unlikely (though of course not impossible) you'll end up getting an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:42 pm

Those with experience - does the 3 week rule generally apply only to OCI-type hiring, or lateral hiring as well? (biglaw)

Silver

Post by 2013 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:53 pm

Lateral hiring varies a lot depending on need and supply/demand. I’ve heard of people getting offers on the spot. But, on the other hand, I’ve heard of people waiting over a month after a callback for an offer.

Usually at the lateral stage, they won’t ghost you, especially if you’re using a recruiter.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:22 pm

2013 wrote:Lateral hiring varies a lot depending on need and supply/demand. I’ve heard of people getting offers on the spot. But, on the other hand, I’ve heard of people waiting over a month after a callback for an offer.

Usually at the lateral stage, they won’t ghost you, especially if you’re using a recruiter.
Very good point. In my previous post, I was assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that OP was applying as a law student, since the lateral market tends to be most active after the new year. If lateraling, a multi-week wait, standing alone, should not be surprising/alarming at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:46 am

Anecdotal, but during a 3L callback I once had and a lateral callback, both took over a month. I had interviewed at the very beginning of the interview period, meaning that the firms would most likely interview more people.

I ended up getting an offer from the callback firm 8 weeks later. I think lateral is usually longer because firms have to fly people out and work around work schedules. And I think firms usually try to call back a good number of people (5-10) so they have options.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anecdotal, but during a 3L callback I once had and a lateral callback, both took over a month. I had interviewed at the very beginning of the interview period, meaning that the firms would most likely interview more people.

I ended up getting an offer from the callback firm 8 weeks later. I think lateral is usually longer because firms have to fly people out and work around work schedules. And I think firms usually try to call back a good number of people (5-10) so they have options.
Do you remember roughly which month you had your 3L Call Back?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anecdotal, but during a 3L callback I once had and a lateral callback, both took over a month. I had interviewed at the very beginning of the interview period, meaning that the firms would most likely interview more people.

Do you remember roughly which month you had your 3L Call Back?
It was later in the year (February). My friend got the offer. She interviewed two weeks after me and found out 6 weeks after my interview (so even she had to wait almost a month).

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:16 pm

What I’m going to say is the epitome of “easier said than done,” but I’m going to say it anyway. If you master the art of this, you will have a much less emotionally difficult time during your lateral job search.

After every interview, assume you didn’t get the job as if you got a rejection on the spot or it was a practice interview...and then move on as if it never happened.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:31 pm

Radio silence following major market biglaw lateral callback about a month ago.

Have not followed up yet - should I send a note to recruiting or assume its a ding? (not using a recruiter)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”