Thank you letter responses Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thank you letter responses

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:14 am

I know sending thank you emails is a somewhat necessary evil, but what do you do on the other end?

I know that when I was applying to firms, usually I didn’t get a response from anyone (normal).

Occasionally I would get a response from partners/associates and those firms would always be firms that made offers. I never received a response from a firm that passed.

I received a thank you email and I don’t know if I should respond. I have no idea if the firm is considering hiring this person and I don’t want to give a false sense of hope (I learned from my past experience that a response is usually a good sign).

Should I just ignore it? Feels weird ignoring an email.

This was the first callback interview I did from this end, so not sure about all of this.

worklifewhat

New

Re: Thank you letter responses

Post by worklifewhat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:24 am

I think you’re overthinking it. I would respond because that’s the polite thing to do. I obviously wouldn’t say anything that makes the person expect an offer but I would definitely respond. It sounds like you might be pretty junior, so I don’t think anyone is going to get their hopes up due to your response.

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:40 am

worklifewhat wrote:I think you’re overthinking it. I would respond because that’s the polite thing to do. I obviously wouldn’t say anything that makes the person expect an offer but I would definitely respond. It sounds like you might be pretty junior, so I don’t think anyone is going to get their hopes up due to your response.
*cue nervous law student OP interviewed furiously posting his anxiety on TLS because OP responded 'good luck' in his email which obviously suggests the interview went horribly wrong*

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know sending thank you emails is a somewhat necessary evil, but what do you do on the other end?

I know that when I was applying to firms, usually I didn’t get a response from anyone (normal).

Occasionally I would get a response from partners/associates and those firms would always be firms that made offers. I never received a response from a firm that passed.

I received a thank you email and I don’t know if I should respond. I have no idea if the firm is considering hiring this person and I don’t want to give a false sense of hope (I learned from my past experience that a response is usually a good sign).

Should I just ignore it? Feels weird ignoring an email.
IME, it's not at all unusual for associates, esp. juniors, to not respond to thank-you notes. Unless you really connected with the interviewee (over and above merely deciding to give a positive eval), I don't see a need to respond. (Or you can wait until the person's extended an offer before responding. I have a number of such "delayed responses" from associates in my email archives.)

(Back when I did CBs as an interviewee, it also felt weird to not send thank-you notes. But the conventional TLS wisdom that NY BigLaw doesn't expect thank-you notes seemed to be spot-on.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”