Chance at LA Public Defender Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TFALAWL

Bronze

Chance at LA Public Defender

Post by TFALAWL » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:27 pm

I'm c/o 2016
stats:

1. 3.5 @ MVP
2. 2 years @ V-15 in LA
3. Current D. Ct. Clerk in 6/8/11

End goal is to be a criminal AUSA, but for now, I would like to take a shot at being a public defender (tldr is I like defending the little guy and fucking up the big guy [though i'm well aware there's plenty of small fish in fed criminal system, but that's separate convo]).

Also, I'm really ready for trial, enough with the desks...

What are my chances? I would love if someone with experience PM'ed me.

Anonymous User

Re: Chance at LA Public Defender

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:08 am

Seems unlikely. Here's why:

1. You don't mention having any experience with indigent defense (your biglaw and D.Ct. clerkship doesn't count). Just because you're smart and hard-working doesn't mean you'd make a good PD.
2. These jobs typically go to people who have either interned with the office or done post-grad clerkships or both, people with demonstrated commitment to the field, for whom the risk of wash-out is relatively low. They're pretty hard to get since they pay fairly well in a desirable area. Your experience is good for lots of law jobs, but it actually doesn't help much at a local PD office. You'd have better luck with the FPD, they like to hire former fed clerks. And that job actually would put your research/writing skills to use, which frankly, the PD job would not.

Beatmyshorts

New

Post by Beatmyshorts » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:03 am

I agree with the last poster. You’d probably have a strong chance at AUSA gigs now. If that’s the end goal, why wait?

Int'lshoe

New

Post by Int'lshoe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:51 pm

Most PD hiring happens for two reasons: (1) you have a demonstrated interest in the PD's office (through internships, pro bono work, etc.); or (2) you know someone that works there. Your qualifications are too competitive and not PD-focused enough for them to consider you a long-term investment. So either submit through someone in the PD's office you know or continue to hold out for an AUSA or FPD position.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”