Made bad lateral move...what next? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Made bad lateral move...what next?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:25 pm

I’m a third year in major market. After clerkship, I went to big law firm. I liked firm fine but the actual work wasn’t what I was promised. On advice of other, I looked at another firm with a strong group in my focus. After some hand-wringing I jumped at the year mark. I’ve been here for a few months now, and hate it. While the work is good, the group is run by truly one of the worst people I’ve met. Screams, belittles, taunts, assigns weekend busy work. Because small group can’t really escape to work with anyone else either. No one is happy here. Everyday I go into work anxious and miserable. No one warned in interviews. Know I can’t leave — 3 firms in 2 years — but need to get out. Any ideas? Anyone gone back to old firm?

QContinuum

Re: Made bad lateral move...what next?

Post by QContinuum » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:31 pm

You can absolutely reach out to your old firm - the sooner the better (the less likely they've replaced you). It's not uncommon for folks to "bounce" back pretty quickly after lateraling out.

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’m a third year in major market. After clerkship, I went to big law firm. I liked firm fine but the actual work wasn’t what I was promised. On advice of other, I looked at another firm with a strong group in my focus. After some hand-wringing I jumped at the year mark. I’ve been here for a few months now, and hate it. While the work is good, the group is run by truly one of the worst people I’ve met. Screams, belittles, taunts, assigns weekend busy work. Because small group can’t really escape to work with anyone else either. No one is happy here. Everyday I go into work anxious and miserable. No one warned in interviews. Know I can’t leave — 3 firms in 2 years — but need to get out. Any ideas? Anyone gone back to old firm?
I've heard of people going back to their former firm multiple times. you were only at your prior firm for a year though, so I'm not sure you had enough time to leave any impression on them, or be close enough to anyone there to candidly admit your reasons for returning. at this point though it sounds like you have nothing to lose and may as well try reaching out to them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:17 am

Look for a new job even if it’s a new firm. I left my lateral spot after 10 months and had only been at my firm before that for a year for the same reasons as you. I landed a new position that I love.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Look for a new job even if it’s a new firm. I left my lateral spot after 10 months and had only been at my firm before that for a year for the same reasons as you. I landed a new position that I love.
Did you move to another firm? What was your explanation when you started looking? How long did it take to find another job?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”