What Happens When Your Reputation Is Blown/You're About to Be Fired Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What Happens When Your Reputation Is Blown/You're About to Be Fired

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:51 pm

The title, basically.

Lateraled recently from a regional larger firm to another; relatively junior. Culture/work expectations at my new firm are completely different than my old firm, and I feel like I've struggled to fit in--some of which is my fault and some of which isn't. Made a couple mistakes/some friction early on, but generally do (and have generally been told that I do) a bang-up job on assignments. My hours have also declined somewhat from what they were in the first few months, though they aren't super low or anything yet, but below monthly threshold. For context, firm and group are both really busy, but group is not terribly well-managed.

Any insight is appreciated: just want to hear your/friend's experiences so I can figure out next steps or if I'm worrying too much. e.g., do people warn you beforehand, or does no one say anything and you get the talk if you're not a good fit, etc.?

TIA

QContinuum

Re: What Happens When Your Reputation Is Blown/You're About to Be Fired

Post by QContinuum » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Basically it depends on your hours. If your hours are on a constant decline, and you aren't able to reverse the trend despite the group being busy, you're probably being frozen out and should try to leap before you're pushed. If you manage to stabilize your hours at/above the minimum, then you'll likely be fine indefinitely regardless of whether a few partners/associates don't want to work with you.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”