Benefits of L&E practice at big full service firms vs. national L&E boutiques (ogletree,littler) - besides salary? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Benefits of L&E practice at big full service firms vs. national L&E boutiques (ogletree,littler) - besides salary?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:34 pm

Hi - am a 2nd year associate at a national L&E boutique firm in a major market that is considering the advantages of lateraling into the L&E practice group of a V60 firm. Its a fairly large group, 8 L&E attorneys. I would appreciate any insight into the benefits of practicing L&E at a full service firm vs. a boutique firm focused on L&E. What are the main advantages of being an employment attorney at a full service firm?

My understanding is that employment attorneys in full service firms typically perform work that is mostly "spun off" from the corporate group - or perform L&E work as needed for clients that "belong" to other practice groups - is that accurate? It seems like a major benefit, to me, of being at a full service firm would be being able to cross sell and get credit for bringing in non L&E work from a client. On the other hand, the rates for L&E simply aren't as high as other practice areas, and in a lot of full service firms, L&E isn't really a priority. The full service firms pay more, but the boutique firms typically have lower billable hour requirements (1800-1900). Also, any insight as to whether its accurate that the employment work at full service firms tends to be more sophisticated where as boutique firms are doing more and more insurance defense/EPLI work? Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Return to “Legal Employment”