How to prepare for litigation boutique (from biglaw)? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to prepare for litigation boutique (from biglaw)?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:32 am

I just accepted an offer at a litigation boutique (not prestigious) and will be coming from a Cravath-type biglaw shop. What are some things I should start doing now (aside from cutting personal expenses, which I have already been doing)?

Anonymous User

Re: How to prepare for litigation boutique (from biglaw)?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Find out what your firm's business model is and what the senior managing partners value. Boutique firms generally have opaque compensation structures and some are not built upon the traditional billable hour model when it comes to pay/advancement/etc. For example, some are more case success driven, while others value new client generation, etc. What your role is within the organization will likely be less clear than what you are used to at a V5. Last thing is be prepared to do a lot more of the 'grunt' work that usually gets delegated down in large institutional firms. More autonomy on cases also means you are responsible for more of the day-to-day processing work.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”