Reach out to law firm partners as a law student Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reach out to law firm partners as a law student

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:47 am

As a first or second year law student, is it appropriate to reach out to law firm partners to network? If anyone here has such experience, how is it different than reaching out and speaking with a junior/mid-level associate?

Anonymous User

Re: Reach out to law firm partners as a law student

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:54 am

Nope, not at all. It'll be to your benefit. Just expect many of them to ignore you, which is part of the business, don't take it personally. I did this as a 1L, 2L, and 3L and grabbed coffee too.

New

Post by 20181989 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:24 am

Yeah there is zero reason not to do this. Just be smart about cold-contacting folks, the way you would about anyone. I did this repeatedly in law school, and it definitely landed some interviews.

L'orDuCommun

New

Post by L'orDuCommun » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:14 am

This is a great idea, I strongly encourage it. Not only can you land interviews, but most importantly, you can find people who can be helpful throughout your career. Think of networking as a long-term effort. It can be a good idea to talk to both partners and associates. They'll give you a different perspective. And a good number of associates will end up working in-house eventually.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Definitely do it. A partner pushing your resume can be difference between you having a job or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Also, a lot of us (like me) have families that are a little bored of hearing our corporate law work stories/news. So, when an interested law student calls me to ask about my job, as long as I'm not busy, I'm thrilled to chat on the phone or grab coffee, as long as my schedule allows.

When people ignore, just don't take it personally as they may just be really busy with work.

Also, I'm not a partner though, just an associate.

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:21 pm

I find that law partners have very low response rates to cold contact unless you have some connection to them so look for those, the more the better, and don't just contact random partners.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”