Too early to lateral? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Too early to lateral?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:12 am

Just started at a regional law firm after graduating this last spring and passing the bar this summer. Firm has pushed me into an area of law I don't have long term interest in (boring to me and partners in this area have lower billing rates than the rest of the firm, so lower compensation long term). Noticed a position open at comparable firm in practice area I was trying to get into during law school (have a graduate degree and a little experience in this field). Am I crazy to reach out to this firm about this position? Will I be branded as someone who won't stick around because I have only been working at my current firm for a few months? I have a good relationship with one of the partners at the comparable firm who I could talk to who could keep it discreet. Just thought I would ask before reaching out.

Anonymous User

Re: Too early to lateral?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:32 am

Generally frowned upon, but you should try. I’ve seen people lateral during stub years before.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Generally frowned upon, but you should try. I’ve seen people lateral during stub years before.
Screw frowned upon. Firms will dump you in a heartbeat when it suits them. If they put you in a practice group you had no interest in, I'd jump at an opportunity to go do something you're interested in long-term. This is your career, and law firms do not give a shit about you. Do what is best for you.

That said, make sure if you take a new opportunity that you plan to stay there a few years. Jumping ship multiple times after short stints will look bad, but doing it once won't kill you--lots of people take jobs that they quickly realize suck.

coramnonjudice

New

Post by coramnonjudice » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:57 pm

Absolutely jump ship. Moving to different firms has become much more acceptable in the last 10 years and shouldn't permanently hurt your chances as long as you stay at the place you moved to for a while. Speaking from experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:50 pm

Yes, don't worry about it. If it's just a few months, you might even be able to leave it off your resume. They already screwed you over by not placing you in the group you want to be in. If you wait longer, you'll just be wasting your time while other people your year are gaining valuable experiences.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:30 am

OP here, just wanted to give an update.

I ended up making the move. The whole process took a couple months but I was able to make it happen. Got a lot of the same few questions in interviews you would expect... I was just honest about not liking my practice area and wanting to switch before I was stuck in it and no one seemed to have a problem with it. So anyone thinking about lateraling in your first year, its definitely a possibility.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:03 am

That’s great, OP. Congrats.
Anonymous User wrote:OP here, just wanted to give an update.

I ended up making the move. The whole process took a couple months but I was able to make it happen. Got a lot of the same few questions in interviews you would expect... I was just honest about not liking my practice area and wanting to switch before I was stuck in it and no one seemed to have a problem with it. So anyone thinking about lateraling in your first year, its definitely a possibility.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”