Lateral Reference Requests? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral Reference Requests?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:16 am

How likely is it that a large firm in NY will ask for professional references? I’ve only worked at this one firm and it’s been years since I’ve worked anywhere else. Should I awkwardly prepare to ask people from my internships 4+ years ago for references?

For obvious reasons, I cannot ask my current colleagues.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Re: Lateral Reference Requests?

Post by lawhopeful100 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:How likely is it that a large firm in NY will ask for professional references? I’ve only worked at this one firm and it’s been years since I’ve worked anywhere else. Should I awkwardly prepare to ask people from my internships 4+ years ago for references?

I lateralled to a large firm about six months ago and they did not ask for references until after an offer was extended. This was my only time lateralling, so I am not sure if that is standard practice, but it allowed me to ask a senior associate and partner I worked for to be references and then used an old law professor as a third.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:14 am

lawhopeful100 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How likely is it that a large firm in NY will ask for professional references? I’ve only worked at this one firm and it’s been years since I’ve worked anywhere else. Should I awkwardly prepare to ask people from my internships 4+ years ago for references?

I lateralled to a large firm about six months ago and they did not ask for references until after an offer was extended. This was my only time lateralling, so I am not sure if that is standard practice, but it allowed me to ask a senior associate and partner I worked for to be references and then used an old law professor as a third.
Thanks for the info. I wouldn’t feel comfortable asking my coworkers even after an offer is extended because those bridges will be burned immediately...

Like I’ve already started cleaning my office for when I tell them I’m leaving since I don’t think they’ll even ask me to stay the two weeks (my colleague gave two weeks notice and they asked him to leave immediately)

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Fair enough, I do think a decent amount of firms won't ask for references at all so you might luck out. Worst case, you may have to dig up some old references like you mentioned.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:19 pm

lawhopeful100 wrote:Fair enough, I do think a decent amount of firms won't ask for references at all so you might luck out. Worst case, you may have to dig up some old references like you mentioned.
At what point were you asked for the names of the references? Before or after conflicts? I haven’t been asked yet and I’m hoping I won’t be.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:36 pm

worklifewhat wrote:
lawhopeful100 wrote:Fair enough, I do think a decent amount of firms won't ask for references at all so you might luck out. Worst case, you may have to dig up some old references like you mentioned.
At what point were you asked for the names of the references? Before or after conflicts? I haven’t been asked yet and I’m hoping I won’t be.
Pretty sure it was after conflicts, which makes sense because I would not have wanted to ask my current employers for a reference only to later find out that I had not cleared conflicts for some reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:27 am

I joined a V15 firm in New York after clerking and was previously at a V5. No request for references.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”