How long to get an offer from a lateral interview? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
law361

New

How long to get an offer from a lateral interview?

Post by law361 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:10 pm

Hello all,

I'm in the midst of the lateral hiring process, looking to make my jump from the firm I've been with since I was a summer associate a few years ago.

My question is- how long did it take for you to receive a lateral offer from a Big Law firm after you went in for an interview? Had an interview on a Monday afternoon, was told the firm would be in touch with an update soon after internal discussions, and a the remainder of the week went by with nothing.

Should I write this off as a firm that isn't interested in me? How long does a job offer normally take?

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: How long to get an offer from a lateral interview?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:31 pm

I applied on a Wednesday and by Monday I received notice from the recruiter I’m working with that I should expect an offer that week. I think anytime during the week following the interview is reasonable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:46 pm

There are a lot of factors. I’ve found out within a day before, but I’ve also had to wait 2 months.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:48 pm

When successful, almost always within a week.

When unsuccessful, a week to a month-plus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:56 am

I once waited almost 5 months from interview to offer. It really depends on how eager the firm is to hire. In my case, it wasn't for a posted position and the firm wanted to wait a few months to see if they had a temporary demand spike or if they had an ongoing need.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:11 pm

If the job is posted on the website, does that indicate a more immediate need?

Also, does the fact that the timeline from resume/materials submission -> screener -> callback was under 1 week for each stage signal anything about the timeline from CB -> offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:22 pm

Do offers typically come directly (by phone call from a partner or something), or if using a recruiter, do they call the recruiter and have them share the offer with the candidate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If the job is posted on the website, does that indicate a more immediate need?

Also, does the fact that the timeline from resume/materials submission -> screener -> callback was under 1 week for each stage signal anything about the timeline from CB -> offer?
Anon with the 5 month story. Not necessarily. I did one interview for a posted position where they hemmed and hawed for months then decided not to hire anyone.

Timeline to screener and callback is irrelevant. That's likely more of an administrative thing. My 5 month wait went straight to callback a week after application. Then crickets...

You just never know. I also know people who zoomed through the lateral process in a couple weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:48 pm

I just went through the lateral process. I did a call-back interview on a Friday and got a verbal offer on Monday.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just went through the lateral process. I did a call-back interview on a Friday and got a verbal offer on Monday.
Did you accept? If so, how long between offer and your first day at the new firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:37 am

It depends when you apply, too.

I should’ve started looking in the early summer. It’s now mid-October and the firms I’m interviewing with seem to be completely fine waiting until January to hire for the position (which means they’ll wait for MORE associates to apply), whereas I know that in “off” months, firms are really looking to hire asap.

Does anyone know how many people firms usually call back for lateral interviews? I know for entry level (not OCI, but 3L), firms had around 4-5 interviewees for one position. Is it safe to say that there are roughly 4-5 callbacks at the junior lateral stage? Just trying to grasp how likely an offer is (have had 5 callbacks recently and kind of need to leave at this point because my colleagues definitely know I’m looking to lateral).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”