Do Firms Tell You Before Callinf Reference Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do Firms Tell You Before Callinf Reference

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Do firms let you know that they will be calling your references before they do so? Just wondering because I assume that they would’ve called them before making an offer, but now found out that it’s after during the conflict check process. So don’t know if I should bother them and let them know someone will be calling (especially since I already thanked them when I got the offer). Thanks

QContinuum

Re: Do Firms Tell You Before Callinf Reference

Post by QContinuum » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms let you know that they will be calling your references before they do so? Just wondering because I assume that they would’ve called them before making an offer, but now found out that it’s after during the conflict check process. So don’t know if I should bother them and let them know someone will be calling (especially since I already thanked them when I got the offer). Thanks
IME not all firms that ask for references actually call them. I think I've only ever had a single firm actually call my references (and that was post-interview, pre-offer). A few other firms have asked me to list references but never actually called them. It seems unusual that any firm would wait to call references until the conflicts stage - are you sure they actually plan to call your refs, or are you just assuming they will do so? Generally conflicts checking is purely administrative - any merits screening re whether to hire you will have been completed pre-offer.

Anonymous User

Re: Do Firms Tell You Before Callinf Reference

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:52 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do firms let you know that they will be calling your references before they do so? Just wondering because I assume that they would’ve called them before making an offer, but now found out that it’s after during the conflict check process. So don’t know if I should bother them and let them know someone will be calling (especially since I already thanked them when I got the offer). Thanks
IME not all firms that ask for references actually call them. I think I've only ever had a single firm actually call my references (and that was post-interview, pre-offer). A few other firms have asked me to list references but never actually called them. It seems unusual that any firm would wait to call references until the conflicts stage - are you sure they actually plan to call your refs, or are you just assuming they will do so? Generally conflicts checking is purely administrative - any merits screening re whether to hire you will have been completed pre-offer.
OP here, thanks for the response. It probably is administrative because the process seems very generic. I asked because I was debating between letting the references know again vs. pestering them too much and no one calling. Thanks!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”