Panel interview with the California AG's Office Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Panel interview with the California AG's Office

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:33 pm

So I have an interview late next week for a vacant DAG position with one of the sections I applied to.

According to the confirmation email, there will be an interview with section supervisors, an informal interview with two DAGs, and finally a short written exercise. In total, it's supposed to run for 1.5-2 hours. I don't know if this is a good sign or not, but when I got the phone call, they sounded pretty enthusiastic about scheduling my interview ASAP.

Anyhow, anything out of the norm I should expect for this? I'm guessing the written exercise will be a fairly generic hypothetical testing my ethics/approach/process, etc.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Panel interview with the California AG's Office

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:31 pm

depends on the section and position (which level of DAG) you're applying to tbh. I did a few of these interviews a few years back and they varied.

edit: Ill add that it varied by interviewing city too. I interviewed both SAcramento and SF, and they were different despite the same position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:depends on the section and position (which level of DAG) you're applying to tbh. I did a few of these interviews a few years back and they varied.

edit: Ill add that it varied by interviewing city too. I interviewed both SAcramento and SF, and they were different despite the same position.
OP here. Thanks for the response. It seems like this panel interview is the only stage prior to the final decision?

Who knows how far this will carry me, but I do have (1) prior experience in this office/city and (2) relevant experience in the type of work this section performs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:depends on the section and position (which level of DAG) you're applying to tbh. I did a few of these interviews a few years back and they varied.

OP here. Thanks for the response. It seems like this panel interview is the only stage prior to the final decision?

Who knows how far this will carry me, but I do have (1) prior experience in this office/city and (2) relevant experience in the type of work this section performs.

Again, it depends on what section and what city you're in. I had 4 different Cal AG interviews for 4 different positions in 2 cities. Got 2 different offers but ended up taking a fed gov job. One interview was straight to offer but the other 3 were not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Again, it depends on what section and what city you're in. I had 4 different Cal AG interviews for 4 different positions in 2 cities. Got 2 different offers but ended up taking a fed gov job. One interview was straight to offer but the other 3 were not.
Appreciate the information/response!

If you could, could you elaborate a bit more on the following?

(1) For the interviews that were not straight to offer/rejection decisions, what did the subsequent interview(s) look like?
(2) For the written exercise at the end (of the first interview), was it a straight forward hypothetical testing something like ethical obligations or was it section dependent?

Thanks again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I have an interview late next week for a vacant DAG position with one of the sections I applied to.

According to the confirmation email, there will be an interview with section supervisors, an informal interview with two DAGs, and finally a short written exercise. In total, it's supposed to run for 1.5-2 hours. I don't know if this is a good sign or not, but when I got the phone call, they sounded pretty enthusiastic about scheduling my interview ASAP.

Anyhow, anything out of the norm I should expect for this? I'm guessing the written exercise will be a fairly generic hypothetical testing my ethics/approach/process, etc.

Thanks!
Highjacking.....what are/were your stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Highjacking.....what are/were your stats?
Right below median at T-14 school

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Highjacking.....what are/were your stats?
Right below median at T-14 school
Are you a 3L?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Again, it depends on what section and what city you're in. I had 4 different Cal AG interviews for 4 different positions in 2 cities. Got 2 different offers but ended up taking a fed gov job. One interview was straight to offer but the other 3 were not.
Appreciate the information/response!

If you could, could you elaborate a bit more on the following?

(1) For the interviews that were not straight to offer/rejection decisions, what did the subsequent interview(s) look like?
(2) For the written exercise at the end (of the first interview), was it a straight forward hypothetical testing something like ethical obligations or was it section dependent?

Thanks again.
NP, (1) Like real traditional interviews. For me, first level was pretty straight forward check box style questions. (2) written exercise was more about testing writing than anything else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”