Junior concerned about hours Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Junior concerned about hours

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:57 pm

I’ve been here for almost 12 months and my annualized billable hours is roughly 1300 hours. I’m concerned that I’ll get fired.

I’m in a satellite of a V50 and everyone else seems to be busy. My practice group has 1 partner, 1 super senior (class of 07) associate and me in the office. We don’t really work across offices that often.

Should I start looking for another job? I haven’t been told my work is crappy or anything (the opposite, actually - been told my work is very impressive for a first year).

Very concerned about the hours though. Firm has a 1950-2000 billable requirement.

Anonymous User

Re: Junior concerned about hours

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:50 pm

I had hours like you my first year (same deal: great reviews but nearly no work..) and had 2300 my second. The fact you’re in a smaller satellite office gives me pause though. I’d definitely be casually looking to be safe, but I’m sure they’d give you a huge leadtime warning if they were to actually cut you out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had hours like you my first year (same deal: great reviews but nearly no work..) and had 2300 my second. The fact you’re in a smaller satellite office gives me pause though. I’d definitely be casually looking to be safe, but I’m sure they’d give you a huge leadtime warning if they were to actually cut you out.
Thanks for the info.

I guess I’m concerned because a partner in another group commented that the chair of the department really didn’t want to hire a junior into the group this year (meaning there probably wasn’t enough work). Then I was placed here after my SA (I had rotated in the group during my SA).

The partner in my office isn’t even a share partner I think. He is always out looking for business and that’s why I think the work has not been flowing as much.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had hours like you my first year (same deal: great reviews but nearly no work..) and had 2300 my second. The fact you’re in a smaller satellite office gives me pause though. I’d definitely be casually looking to be safe, but I’m sure they’d give you a huge leadtime warning if they were to actually cut you out.
Thanks for the info.

I guess I’m concerned because a partner in another group commented that the chair of the department really didn’t want to hire a junior into the group this year (meaning there probably wasn’t enough work). Then I was placed here after my SA (I had rotated in the group during my SA).

The partner in my office isn’t even a share partner I think. He is always out looking for business and that’s why I think the work has not been flowing as much.
Try switching groups maybe? Or at least seeking work from other groups to boost hours.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:30 pm

Your problem is very common, especially at smaller offices where workflow is not consistent (lack of big clients with steady workflow). Wouldn't worry too much, but can't hurt to put out some feelers through recruiters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:14 pm

I was in a similar situation. I billed under 1k my first year. Then 2100 my second. Some people really are bad at integrating first years. But, I was always looking for something just in case.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:18 am

You are probably also working too fast. When you're not under time pressure, print everything out, read redlines a second, third, fourth time, make sure you're billing for reading your e-mail, consider an additional precedent, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”