Contingency in SA Offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Contingency in SA Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Did anyone else get an SA offer that is contingent on maintaining your GPA through 2L? I have median grades at a Tier 2 school and severely over-performed during OCI, landing a V10 firm. While I am ecstatic about the offer, I am curious whether this contingency is the norm.

NPM9099

New

Re: Contingency in SA Offer

Post by NPM9099 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:24 pm

Completely normal and you have nothing to worry about so long as you don't get starkly different grades from what you applied with.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:29 pm

I don't recall any of my SA offer letters including a GPA stipulation (aside from general language about being in good academic standing). Maybe a new trend? In any case, OP will likely be fine so long as s/he stays at median during 2L. Load up on the seminars!

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Post by BeeTeeZ » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone else get an SA offer that is contingent on maintaining your GPA through 2L? I have median grades at a Tier 2 school and severely over-performed during OCI, landing a V10 firm. While I am ecstatic about the offer, I am curious whether this contingency is the norm.
You're fine. Think about it. If they were *that* worried about your grades they wouldn't have offered you in the first place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:06 am

How explicit was it? If it's the v10 offer letter with grades language that I've seen, which just said you're expected to maintain the same level of academic excellence, that's not a contingency and is, I think, understood to be the case everywhere. If it said something like, your grades must stay above a 3 x or this offer is void, then maybe take that more serious (but I doubt this is the case)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone else get an SA offer that is contingent on maintaining your GPA through 2L? I have median grades at a Tier 2 school and severely over-performed during OCI, landing a V10 firm. While I am ecstatic about the offer, I am curious whether this contingency is the norm.
You a URM?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
You a URM?
OP here. Not at all. I think I am proof that networking can help, even with shitty grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You a URM?
OP here. Not at all. I think I am proof that networking can help, even with shitty grades.
Is this for a satellite office? I know v10s hire tier 2 students in some of the satellite offices. Maybe the language is also in there because it’s a satellite if that’s the case

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:02 am

One of my offers at a v70 also have this language and I'm top third at CCN. I'm sure this is just boilerplate. Congrats on your amazing outcome though!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”