LA Litigation Boutiques Where the Grass is Greener? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LA Litigation Boutiques Where the Grass is Greener?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:08 pm

Hi all. I'm a 5th-year lit associate at a V15 firm in LA looking to exit big law to a smaller general lit boutique or a mid-sized firm with better quality of life and better work experience. While I've gotten substantial briefing experience and some case management and trial experience, deposition and hearing opportunities are virtually non-existent for associates at my firm, as are partnership opportunities. I'm looking ideally for a smaller, mid-market lit shop that requires 1900 hours or less, that allows associates more hands-on substantive experience, and that offers realistic partnership (and/or non-partnership, long-term employment) options. I recognize that I'll have to take a pay cut, but hope to earn a base of about $200K or more. I've found it difficult identify and research these types of firms online (though have found some resources, e.g., the Daily Journal's top boutiques list). Any advice/knowledge re firms to consider (open both to west side and DTLA) and/or the best way to score an interview with such firms would be appreciated (it seems many don't work with headhunters). Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: LA Litigation Boutiques Where the Grass is Greener?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:36 pm

Stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:42 pm

I thought a lot of the lit boutiques paid in line with big law and we’re usually more selective?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:14 pm

check out Buckley Sandler in Santa Monica. DC based firm but decent sized LA office. Salary/bonus pretty much tracks cravath scale (not sure if they raised in the last round of raises though). I worked there before leaving for gov but we had a 1800 billable requirement and i got an above market bonus for billing 1900 before. Also no up and out model. something like 70% of senior associates make "counsel"

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:26 pm

OP, send me a private message.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:41 am

I am at a boutique and I am on track for 2,600 hours and get paid less than a first year. My bonus will probably be 1/2 of market for my year. Also get yelled at and called names.

Boutiques can be hell. Unchecked yellers, sexual harassment is often rampant. There is usually 1 or 2 partners that run the place. They do whatever they want.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Maybe try mckool smith in DTLA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Maybe try McKool Smith in DTLA.
This might be office specific, but the hours in the Texas McKool offices are brutal. The experience is great, but the substantive work and heavy load of trials mean that your hours are going to be rough. That isn't specific to McKool. I know nothing about the LA office, but the firm-wide culture seems pretty solid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This might be office specific, but the hours in the Texas McKool offices are brutal. The experience is great, but the substantive work and heavy load of trials mean that your hours are going to be rough. That isn't specific to McKool. I know nothing about the LA office, but the firm-wide culture seems pretty solid.
Can confirm, a partner in McKool's LA office told me their daily schedule was 10-8, with major variability depending on whether they've got a trial. I like the firm, but it seems pretty intense.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Can confirm, a partner in McKool's LA office told me their daily schedule was 10-8, with major variability depending on whether they've got a trial. I like the firm, but it seems pretty intense.

FWIW a few associates there mentioned aiming for 160-170 hours a month, which doesn't sound too bad. Obviously, that could be false or an exaggeration.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:35 pm

That office basically operates as Mike Hennigan's personal fiefdom, for better or worse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

FWIW a few associates there mentioned aiming for 160-170 hours a month, which doesn't sound too bad. Obviously, that could be false or an exaggeration.
10-8? That sounds like a godsend. Am I missing something here?

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

In LA, those are pretty normal working hours but not normal hours to be expected to be in the office.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

10 hours in the office on a normal day, with variability (particularly up when things are busy) is pretty normal for non-NYC biglaw IME.

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:35 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

10 hours in the office on a normal day, with variability (particularly up when things are busy) is pretty normal for non-NYC biglaw IME.
Wow. I thought midlaw was tough, but me leaving at 6pm-ish everyday really puts this in perspective. I don’t make big law money though so there’s that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”