Akin Gump Dallas —tell me what you know!! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Akin Gump Dallas —tell me what you know!!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:59 pm

Face time requirements? Telecommuting? Leaving at a decent time? Weekend work? What are the norms in this office? I’m considering an offer but don’t want to start my career off on the wrong foot when I know I’m looking for somewhere humane (for biglaw). Oh and I’m doing litigation.

Anonymous User

Re: Akin Gump Dallas —tell me what you know!!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Face time requirements? Telecommuting? Leaving at a decent time? Weekend work? What are the norms in this office? I’m considering an offer but don’t want to start my career off on the wrong foot when I know I’m looking for somewhere humane (for biglaw). Oh and I’m doing litigation.
Do you have any other offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Face time requirements? Telecommuting? Leaving at a decent time? Weekend work? What are the norms in this office? I’m considering an offer but don’t want to start my career off on the wrong foot when I know I’m looking for somewhere humane (for biglaw). Oh and I’m doing litigation.
This sounds suggestive that I should avoid if possible. Was that your intention?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This sounds suggestive that I should avoid if possible. Was that your intention?
Yes. I would go pretty much anywhere else that pays market before I would go to Akin. It is hard to put into words how miserable the Dallas office culture is, though the litigation group is a touch better than corporate from a culture perspective.

Dw686

New

Post by Dw686 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I wouldn’t say that is what the anon was doing. You are asking for info in a vacuum, and maybe someone just feels like providing that, but obviously the more interesting question for everyone not you is compared to what.
Last edited by QContinuum on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:15 am

I agree - it is relative to your other offers. That said, I have friends who have worked there and don’t have favorable reviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Just FYI, when you start a post titled "tell me what you know!!" and then people ask follow-up questions and provide general responses/advice, it is polite to follow up and answer their questions or thank them for the feedback.

That being said, if Akin Gump Dallas is your only offer, I would take it, but, in my opinion, it is a terrible place to work, and they've already lost three associates to Kirkland Dallas (including a litigation associate).

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Just FYI, when you start a post titled "tell me what you know!!" and then people ask follow-up questions and provide general responses/advice, it is polite to follow up and answer their questions or thank them for the feedback.

That being said, if Akin Gump Dallas is your only offer, I would take it, but, in my opinion, it is a terrible place to work, and they've already lost three associates to Kirkland Dallas (including a litigation associate).
Lol this sounds like something HB would say ;)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My apologies. Thank you for your response. What gives you the impression that it is a terrible place to work? I wouldn't take a "terrible place to work" job so I kind of just want to know what people think of Akin in a vacuum if that makes sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I agree - it is relative to your other offers. That said, I have friends who have worked there and don’t have favorable reviews.
I don't want it to be relative to other offers, so I'd prefer just general impressions of Akin. My goal isn't to go somewhere where I'm counting the days until I can leave. That's no way to live IMO. So, just hoping for general opinions about Akin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I wouldn’t say that is what the anon was doing. You are asking for info in a vacuum, and maybe someone just feels like providing that, but obviously the more interesting question for everyone not you is compared to what.
I'm asking for the information in a vacuum because that's exactly what I want. I want to find a job that I can see myself in long term and a place that is oppressive and generally shitty to work is not somewhere I'd want to choose no matter what other options were on the table.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Because I worked there and hated it. It is hard to describe how truly depressing the office is, but it really is. There is something so demotivating about being there - none of the Dallas partners seem to be invested, and the associates pick up on that. The partners for the most part also have little to no power and those that do are too old to care, which makes for a crummy environment. Over half the Corp work comes from NY or DC. The Lit group is still better but the attrition there is still shocking. I would avoid at all costs if I were you. Unless it was my only offer. When I was there, there were THREE lateral associates who started at the firm and left to go back where they came from within three months of starting (one after four weeks and one moved his entire family and 8 month pregnant wife BACK to Houston to escape).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Because I worked there and hated it. It is hard to describe how truly depressing the office is, but it really is. There is something so demotivating about being there - none of the Dallas partners seem to be invested, and the associates pick up on that. The partners for the most part also have little to no power and those that do are too old to care, which makes for a crummy environment. Over half the Corp work comes from NY or DC. The Lit group is still better but the attrition there is still shocking. I would avoid at all costs if I were you. Unless it was my only offer. When I was there, there were THREE lateral associates who started at the firm and left to go back where they came from within three months of starting (one after four weeks and one moved his entire family and 8 month pregnant wife BACK to Houston to escape).
This is helpful. Thank you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just to be clear, you wouldn't say people are jumping ship because they feel like they're being overworked or mistreated would you? From your description it doesn't sound like it's a sweatshop and that's why people are leaving and that's my primary concern. I would really like to have time for other priorities in my life and don't want to be somewhere where that would be impossible to attain. Can you say anything about telecommuting and the face time requirement in the office?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm asking for the information in a vacuum because that's exactly what I want. I want to find a job that I can see myself in long term and a place that is oppressive and generally shitty to work is not somewhere I'd want to choose no matter what other options were on the table.
OP's almost certainly already made their decision re: Akin, and this post is not intended to express any opinion, positive or negative, regarding whether Akin in general or Akin Dallas in particular is a good place to work.

However, since this thread was bumped, I think it's important to note for future readers that in some cases, it may very well be worth taking a job at a place that is "oppressive and generally shitty to work" at. For example, if a rising 2L's only offer on the table is a BigLaw SA offer, that 2L should take the offer regardless of whether the firm is pleasant to work for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:47 pm

LATX wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This poster [name redacted] has a vendetta against Akin Gump and spends his time scouring the forums to talk trash on it and says the same things every time. Take it with a grain of salt. I think people are very caring and the litigation section is quite flexible with scheduling, not a lot face time, office is pretty empty by 600/630 and can only be rough when doing bankruptcy work, but even then facetime is not big.

Moderator note: Poster outed and warned for anon abuse. It's not okay to "out" another anon by posting their real name, and doubly not okay to do so under cover of anon yourself. -QContinuum
As the poster that has a "vendetta" against Akin Gump, I just wanted to make it clear that my first response was "do you have other offers?" because I didn't see the point in "talking trash" when that was the only option available to OP and only offered my honest assessment (which, obviously, is an opinion and certainly is not an opinion shared by 100% of the people who work at, or who've ever worked at, Akin) after OP asked for such assessment in a vacuum. There are clearly some good people at Akin Gump, and I would say that it is generally par for the course on the "facetime" requirement (most firms today are decreasing "facetime" requirements as older partners retire), but I did not enjoy my experience there and would gladly share specifics with anyone who asked. Note, also, that I did not criticize the associates in the office or even really many of the partners (most of whom are well-intentioned) - my critique is more on the overall firm culture, which is mostly dictated by people and decisions outside of Dallas. Also, for the record, my only posts about Akin Gump are in this thread and one other comment from a while ago that essentially said that it has a weird culture - so if that counts as spending all my time scouring forums talking trash about Akin, so be it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LATX wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This poster [name redacted] has a vendetta against Akin Gump and spends his time scouring the forums to talk trash on it and says the same things every time. Take it with a grain of salt. I think people are very caring and the litigation section is quite flexible with scheduling, not a lot face time, office is pretty empty by 600/630 and can only be rough when doing bankruptcy work, but even then facetime is not big.

Moderator note: Poster outed and warned for anon abuse. It's not okay to "out" another anon by posting their real name, and doubly not okay to do so under cover of anon yourself. -QContinuum
As the poster that has a "vendetta" against Akin Gump, I just wanted to make it clear that my first response was "do you have other offers?" because I didn't see the point in "talking trash" when that was the only option available to OP and only offered my honest assessment (which, obviously, is an opinion and certainly is not an opinion shared by 100% of the people who work at, or who've ever worked at, Akin) after OP asked for such assessment in a vacuum. There are clearly some good people at Akin Gump, and I would say that it is generally par for the course on the "facetime" requirement (most firms today are decreasing "facetime" requirements as older partners retire), but I did not enjoy my experience there and would gladly share specifics with anyone who asked. Note, also, that I did not criticize the associates in the office or even really many of the partners (most of whom are well-intentioned) - my critique is more on the overall firm culture, which is mostly dictated by people and decisions outside of Dallas. Also, for the record, my only posts about Akin Gump are in this thread and one other comment from a while ago that essentially said that it has a weird culture - so if that counts as spending all my time scouring forums talking trash about Akin, so be it.
How long did you stay there? Did you go to another large firm after leaving?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Without getting into too many specifics, (a) multiple years and (b) yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I hope things are better at the new firm!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I hope things are better at the new firm!!
Much. I’ve worked at a variety of other places in my life (including other firms I clerked at), and have never felt the same way about anywhere else (and, again, not trying to disparage people currently working there - my critique is of the overall firm and general vibe of the office). It is a unique experience.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”