Small Firm - What's it like working with few associates? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Small Firm - What's it like working with few associates?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:41 am

I'm a second year at a V50 firm and am trying to relocate. I'm looking at lateraling to a well regarded firm, but the practice group I'd be in is very small and I may be one of only maybe three associates, with many more partners. They're looking to expand the group, which is why they're currently looking for laterals.

On the one hand, I think I'll really appreciate that I'll get to do much more substantive work than at my current firm and get more hands-on experience (depos, etc.) much earlier on. On the other hand, I've never worked without a lot of other associates and am wondering if there is anything I should know that I might not be thinking of.

Anything I should be concerned about? Or questions I should ask the few associates there?

I'd appreciate any insight or comments. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Small Firm - What's it like working with few associates?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:22 pm

I’ve ruled out going somewhere with few associates so I’d be interested in hearing others’ responses.

Some questions:

How are matters staffed?
How does coverage work during vacations?
What happens if the group is short on work?
What percentage of time is worked outside the practice group you’d be starting in?
Is cross-office staffing common? This can help minimize the pressure on the few associates in the small office when things get really crazy.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”