networking is pretty useless without good grades Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: networking is pretty useless without good grades

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:04 pm

My two cents: networking is most useful if you're a marginal, but still technically "in range" candidate. Like let's say you're at Columbia - you're barely Stone (ie, top third). Cravath's policy is essentially if you're not Stone, you're not getting an offer (it's like 97% or something iirc). So you got over that first hurdle, but if someone looks at your transcript, they're gonna see a lot of B+s. It's not an automatic no, but you're starting off at a deficit.

But if you network, that'll set you apart in your screeners. Maybe someone can put in a good word. The partner or senior associate or whoever can say "hey you know what, I know his grades aren't the best, but he's still Stone, and we got drinks, great guy, really wants to be here, etc." He or she doesn't have to ask the firm to break policy, which is a big thing to ask - just give you a shot, push you from the "maybe" to the "yes" pile of resumes.

Redrobbin2018

New

Post by Redrobbin2018 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:15 pm

Have a 2.99 at CCN. Unsure about class standing. Rejected by v50 post CB, had my GC at summer internship (F100) reach out (company is a client), offer next day from same firm. Networking at work pays! Sent a couple of nice bottles my GCs way.

31 screeners, 3 CB. Withdrew after accepting v50. Form told me they accepted me because they were impressed that even after they said no, I wanted in. They said GC LOR wasn't deciding factor, but helped.

Bottom line is: even after you get a no, ask again and reframe your question.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:23 pm

Redrobbin2018 wrote:Have a 2.99 at CCN. Unsure about class standing. Rejected by v50 post CB, had my GC at summer internship (F100) reach out (company is a client), offer next day from same firm. Networking at work pays! Sent a couple of nice bottles my GCs way.

31 screeners, 3 CB. Withdrew after accepting v50. Form told me they accepted me because they were impressed that even after they said no, I wanted in. They said GC LOR wasn't deciding factor, but helped.

You are my hero.

Redrobbin2018

New

Post by Redrobbin2018 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Redrobbin2018 wrote:Have a 2.99 at CCN. Unsure about class standing. Rejected by v50 post CB, had my GC at summer internship (F100) reach out (company is a client), offer next day from same firm. Networking at work pays! Sent a couple of nice bottles my GCs way.

You are my hero.
HI Anonymous! I posted to give people ideas, not toot my own horn.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:53 pm

Redrobbin2018 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You are my hero.
HI Anonymous! I posted to give people ideas, not toot my own horn.
Me again. I was being serious, didn't mean to come off as sarcastic.

More law students/people could use that level of gumption. Happy for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:55 pm

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about "networking," and career services usually do a terrible job at explaining it. Networking is not something you do when you need something from someone, it is a life long process. It is like making friends, except professionally.

Law schools often make networking look like you ask someone to coffee, then you ask them for a job. That is rarely ever going to work. It is about making a connection with someone BEFORE you need something from them. Like you asking your best friend to help you move, but you would not ask a new acquaintance to help you move. People are more incline to help those they have a personal connection with, i.e. if you have a family friend that's a lawyer or a partner? That's your network. If you don't have that family friend? That's ok too. Start making those connections by reaching out to alumni, or the type of "networking" career service told you to do. Just don't expect any immediate result.

It is important to keep in mind "networking" is a life long thing. You've been doing it since you were a kid, attending those social functions with your parents, meeting people you had no clue who they were. Except now, you are doing it more consciously.

So yes, asking essentially a complete stranger to go to bat for you when you are a marginal candidate wouldn't help much today, but you never know what that connection can lead to if you develop it and cultivate it five years from now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:31 pm

OP, I'm led to believe that you have minimal work experience because of your dismissal of networking. I'm not trying to come off as condescending. I just know that students without work experience find networking difficult or just don't understand how it works. Don't worry, it'll come with time. Think of it this way: you have more time to learn and hit your stride than the older students. But I think shutting yourself down is the worst thing you can do.

I truly do sympathize with OP. I too had a difficult time during OCI. Although I ultimately landed in a Biglaw job, I think that these firms could do a better job of not being... well you know, assholes. I'm pretty sure recruiters are the worst people in the world and I don't think hiring attorneys actually know how to look for good candidates. Of course, they say grades and school generally correlate to success. But I wonder if they've even tried a more holistic approach in order to make a comparison. I remember working in government my 1L summer and watching gov attorneys demolish biglaw. All of the gov attorneys said they were turned down by Biglaw. So I'm not clear on where the mystique comes from. It ultimately comes down to resources. But other than that, its just a giant feedback loop.

Before law school, I worked for a while in what I consider to be a toxic work environment. I wouldn't necessarily call all of Biglaw toxic. But its definitely not the healthiest work environment either. I have mad respect for KJD's who are able to happily walk into it. I definitely wouldn't have been mature enough for Biglaw as a younger person.

L'orDuCommun

New

Post by L'orDuCommun » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:16 pm

Your career doesn't end the moment you get a job. You're networking for the future, not just to get a job. Think about it as a long term effort.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”