Do firms run a background check on international employment? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do firms run a background check on international employment?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:50 pm

I recently got a biglaw offer contingent on a background check. I guess it includes a check on employment history. Then, how thoroughly do firms usually run employment check? I did an unpaid externship in Asia a few years ago through an informal route and found my professor who introduced me that position actually left school and does not respond to my emails. I think the company may not have an official record of my working there so kinda worrying about that.

Anonymous User

Re: Do firms run a background check on international employment?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:50 pm
I recently got a biglaw offer contingent on a background check. I guess it includes a check on employment history. Then, how thoroughly do firms usually run employment check? I did an unpaid externship in Asia a few years ago through an informal route and found my professor who introduced me that position actually left school and does not respond to my emails. I think the company may not have an official record of my working there so kinda worrying about that.
I am in a similar situation. Would you mind sharing how you dealt with it? Thanks!

quanteniacma

New

Post by quanteniacma » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:17 am

I haven't posted on TLS for quite a while, but I figured that this might be a question that I have an answer to.

When I started at a V5 a couple years back, they did in fact run a fairly comprehensive background check on my international employment. From the email chains that I was copied on, my understanding is that they hired a local agency in the foreign country to run background checks on the jobs that I had there. The agency did a fairly thorough dive and was even able to confirm my employment dates in the military in that country. However, I worked in an independent contractor role for one of the jobs on my resume which the agency was unable to confirm. The V5 firm reached out and asked if I could provide additional information regarding my employment at that position. I then sent them the contact information for my supervisor (who no longer worked at the Company at that time) and copies of emails regarding my employment status at the Company. And... that was it.

So basically, no sweat on the background check. They're going to confirm what they can, and they'll reach out to you for details on jobs/positions that they need more info on. If they ask, let them know that it was an unpaid internship, and they should be totally cool with it. If they (or the local agency that they hired) ask for more information, just send them a copy of any emails/documents confirming your role at the company/organization. Overall, you should be totally fine. Just sit back, relax, and congrats on the biglaw offer!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:16 am

quanteniacma wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:17 am
I haven't posted on TLS for quite a while, but I figured that this might be a question that I have an answer to.

When I started at a V5 a couple years back, they did in fact run a fairly comprehensive background check on my international employment. From the email chains that I was copied on, my understanding is that they hired a local agency in the foreign country to run background checks on the jobs that I had there. The agency did a fairly thorough dive and was even able to confirm my employment dates in the military in that country. However, I worked in an independent contractor role for one of the jobs on my resume which the agency was unable to confirm. The V5 firm reached out and asked if I could provide additional information regarding my employment at that position. I then sent them the contact information for my supervisor (who no longer worked at the Company at that time) and copies of emails regarding my employment status at the Company. And... that was it.

So basically, no sweat on the background check. They're going to confirm what they can, and they'll reach out to you for details on jobs/positions that they need more info on. If they ask, let them know that it was an unpaid internship, and they should be totally cool with it. If they (or the local agency that they hired) ask for more information, just send them a copy of any emails/documents confirming your role at the company/organization. Overall, you should be totally fine. Just sit back, relax, and congrats on the biglaw offer!
This is very helpful, thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”