Top Florida Gig

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top Florida Gig

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:04 pm

What do y'all think, Greenberg or White and Case?

Anonymous User

Re: Top Florida Gig

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:11 pm

White and Case

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:02 pm

White & Case/Holland & Knight

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:55 pm

White & Case > Weil/GT/Holland & Knight > JD/MWE (any market paying firm with a MIA office) > Akerman/Shutts Bowen/Gunster/Bilzin > the rest.

There are obviously boutiques, but I focused on full-service

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:White & Case > Weil/GT/Holland & Knight > JD/MWE (any market paying firm with a MIA office) > Akerman/Shutts Bowen/Gunster/Bilzin > the rest.

Weil should be in the JD/MWE bucket. It's tiny now.

W&C is very debatable on the basis of partnership potential in Miami.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:White & Case > Weil/GT/Holland & Knight > JD/MWE (any market paying firm with a MIA office) > Akerman/Shutts Bowen/Gunster/Bilzin > the rest.

Who the hell wants to be a biglaw partner anyway?

W&C is the best gig if you want to do biglaw for a set amount of years and get paid the most for the best experience (other market paying firm offices are too small, except maybe Boies). If you want to make a career at one firm and become partner, H&K is probably the best gig, especially with its deep FL roots. I don’t think Greenberg is even in the conversation, folks there are miserable, pay sucks (they even write articles about it!), and being a partner seems like a worse deal than just being a W&C 8th year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

W&C is the best gig if you want to do biglaw for a set amount of years and get paid the most for the best experience (other market paying firm offices are too small, except maybe Boies). If you want to make a career at one firm and become partner, H&K is probably the best gig, especially with its deep FL roots. I don’t think Greenberg is even in the conversation, folks there are miserable, pay sucks (they even write articles about it!), and being a partner seems like a worse deal than just being a W&C 8th year.

I’d argue that GT and Akerman have better FL roots than H&K. Also, the associate salaries at the three are all comparable. They all max out around the low 200,000 range.

But yes, GT sounds like a miserable place.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:I’d argue that GT and Akerman have better FL roots than H&K. Also, the associate salaries at the three are all comparable. They all max out around the low 200,000 range.

A senior associate at GT/Akerman/H&K in Miami is making low $200k? What about with bonuses?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I’d argue that GT and Akerman have better FL roots than H&K. Also, the associate salaries at the three are all comparable. They all max out around the low 200,000 range.

A senior associate at GT/Akerman/H&K in Miami is making low $200k? What about with bonuses?

I’ve heard of bonuses as high as 50k (so maybe 50% of market max?). Probably lower at Akerman than at Holland & Knight at GT because of the differences in revenue. So I’d assume all-in compensation max at around 250-275 at these firms.

For what it’s worth, I’m a midlevel and my all-in comp this year will be around 205-210.

The bonuses are paltry, but all things considered, not terrible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:39 am

Are these rankings predominantly focused on Miami? What are the rankings in other Florida cities?

Cicero76

Silver

Postby Cicero76 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I’d argue that GT and Akerman have better FL roots than H&K. Also, the associate salaries at the three are all comparable. They all max out around the low 200,000 range.

GT and Akerman have deep FL roots, but H&K does too -- it was founded in Lakeland in 1968. But I think what makes H&K the best Florida-based gig with a partnership track is that it has much more of a national presence/ceiling for advancement than GT or Akerman. Akerman is basically nothing outside of FL.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:09 am

Cicero76 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

GT and Akerman have deep FL roots, but H&K does too -- it was founded in Lakeland in 1968. But I think what makes H&K the best Florida-based gig with a partnership track is that it has much more of a national presence/ceiling for advancement than GT or Akerman. Akerman is basically nothing outside of FL.

That’s probably accurate. HK is the happy medium. GT probably has more reach nationally than HK, but no one really wants to work there. Most of the offices seem toxic. Akerman probably has an easiest partnership track and lifestyle, but it’s still very unknown outside of South Florida.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That’s probably accurate. HK is the happy medium. GT probably has more reach nationally than HK, but no one really wants to work there. Most of the offices seem toxic. Akerman probably has an easiest partnership track and lifestyle, but it’s still very unknown outside of South Florida.

Pay aside, GT is more toxic than W&C?

Return to “Legal Employment?