JD v. Hogan (both DC) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

JD v. Hogan

Poll ended at Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:31 pm

Jones Day
24%
Hogan Lovells
76%

Total votes: 49

Anonymous User

Re: JD v. Hogan (both DC)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:23 pm

I’m a JD associate. I can confirm it is not true that all associates are paid below market. I would point out that I (and everyone here) gets recruiter calls every day and could easily lateral to another firm. There is not significant attrition from JD because by and large people like the work environment, the opportunity for real experience as a junior, and the non-zero chance at becoming a partner for people who work hard and are interested. No one can really explain why JD associates pick the firm and stay with the firm if they are paid crushing low salaries. The point has been made above that employers have no motive to pay more than they have to and at lock step firms when an associate is promoted to a salary that is too high they are on the chopping block.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:11 pm

d3909615 wrote:The nepotism rumors about the $810k associate are untrue. His father in law is an of counsel not a managing partner.

There is seriously misleading and false information here about Jones day associate salaries. It's hard to get this data, because superstars and slackers are both embarrassed to share it, but...

With this link, you can see the salaries of all private sector employees who joined the administration. https://projects.propublica.org/trump-town/

Type "Jones Day" where it says "Find a staffer, agency or former employer"

Click on the names of Jones Day associates in the admin.

Click the "See More Financial Disclosure Details" to see their Jones Day salary.

Jones Day is a meritocracy. Some people will be paid more than market. Some people will be paid less than market. The superstars aren't going to be voting on TLS.
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/fash ... taedt.html

A lot of old retired partners are “of counsel.” He was the partner-in-charge of the SF office.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’m a JD associate. I can confirm it is not true that all associates are paid below market.
No one is saying JD associates are all paid below market. The claim is they are on average paid below market.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:21 pm

I think people need to differentiate between JD NY/DC and JD Cleveland/Pittsburgh/other secondary market. JD is king in the other markets. That’s why people like JD and it’s highly rated in vault.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:36 pm

2013 wrote:I think people need to differentiate between JD NY/DC and JD Cleveland/Pittsburgh/other secondary market. JD is king in the other markets. That’s why people like JD and it’s highly rated in vault.
Can confirm this one. JD associate in secondary market here and make significantly more than every other firm here

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Elston Gunn wrote: Not for nothing, but my biggest objection to JD’s black box + forbid salary discussion policy is that set up is extremely likely to lead to systematic racial and gender biases in salary. There have been credible allegations that this is in fact the case at JD as well.
Same anon you replied to: And I completely understand this and if I was a person of color or a woman I would have my antenna up. In a firm of 2800 attorneys it is impossible to get every single person exactly right and I know of some who should have been better rewarded, but knowing at least a couple of people on the compensation committee I have confidence in their fairness and commitment to equality. But that’s only in the final decision making. There’s also the impact of unconscious bias in the performance evaluation process up and down the chain—a potential problem at every firm but it presents earlier at JD because associates are compensated more like partners (process not $) than at lock-step firms. I do feel that they were affirmatively addressing the potential but again easier for me to say.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”