Classes an aspiring restructuring attorney should take? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Classes an aspiring restructuring attorney should take?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:25 pm

I'm a 2L, going to summer with a top debtor bankruptcy shop. What classes should I take to help prepare myself for this summer, and for my career? Obviously will take bankruptcy, but also considering basic federal income tax, sec reg (is this class necessary?), and secured transactions.

Anonymous User

Re: Classes an aspiring restructuring attorney should take?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:21 pm

Bankruptcy and Secured Transactions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bankruptcy and Secured Transactions.
Can I not take sec reg? I’d rather not take it if I don’t need to since it’s supoosed to be super hard

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:06 pm

Sec reg's difficulty is overstated. I found that it was about as hard as bankruptcy. I can't speak to how useful it is in restructuring.

That being said, I wouldn't take it in the same semester as sec trans and bankruptcy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:13 pm

Mediation/negotiation would be really helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:05 pm

dabigchina wrote:Sec reg's difficulty is overstated. I found that it was about as hard as bankruptcy. I can't speak to how useful it is in restructuring.

That being said, I wouldn't take it in the same semester as sec trans and bankruptcy.
Do you advise taking secured transactions before the summer? There is a prereq for an entrepreneurship clinic I want to take as a 3L offered at the same time as secured transactions, so that would be a tough choice to make.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mediation/negotiation would be really helpful.
Taking that this semester!

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:46 pm

Secured Transactions, accounting for lawyers, federal courts, advanced civil procedure courses, corporations.

It’s really a mix of bankruptcy law, corporate governance, finance and civil procedure. I can’t understate how useful understanding accounting principles is. In the end bankruptcy is about cash.

Securities reg is not applicable. But good to take.Taxes classes are probably not going to help.

It’s a really stressful fast pace practice. Probably one of the most notoriously stressful practice areas. So just keep that in mind. In practice the goal is the pledgerize pleadings.

Best advice I would say is go to PrimeClerk or KCC and just start looking at a few of the pleadings filed on bankruptcy court.

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:57 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Secured Transactions, accounting for lawyers, federal courts, advanced civil procedure courses, corporations.

It’s really a mix of bankruptcy law, corporate governance, finance and civil procedure. I can’t understate how useful understanding accounting principles is. In the end bankruptcy is about cash.

Securities reg is not applicable. But good to take.Taxes classes are probably not going to help.

It’s a really stressful fast pace practice. Probably one of the most notoriously stressful practice areas. So just keep that in mind. In practice the goal is the pledgerize pleadings.

Best advice I would say is go to PrimeClerk or KCC and just start looking at a few of the pleadings filed on bankruptcy court.
How important is taking federal courts and advanced civil procedure? I hated civil procedure (the course, not sure about in practice), but want to do some bankruptcy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:03 pm

BrainsyK wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Secured Transactions, accounting for lawyers, federal courts, advanced civil procedure courses, corporations.

How important is taking federal courts and advanced civil procedure? I hated civil procedure (the course, not sure about in practice), but want to do some bankruptcy.
Debtor work involves federal court. Adversary proceedings invole the FRCP It’s helpful. Practically I would say that the accounting for lawyers classes would be the most helpful. Secured transactions also would help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:20 pm

I'm taking accounting for lawyers this fall. I did poorly in Civ Pro, and would do anything to avoid taking Fed Jur or Civ Pro II. How important are those courses?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:13 pm

What about admin law?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:21 pm

I rotated through restructuring at a NY firm, and here are the classes I found legitimately helpful:

Corporations, secured transactions, bankruptcy (and any higher level classes offered on bankruptcy, such as corporate restructuring, distressed M&A, international bankruptcy, etc), sec reg, accounting for lawyers, corporate finance (took it at both the b-school and the Law school - just make sure you get a look at the finance side of things). I was in a very “corporate” practice, so I didn’t feel disadvantaged without fed courts, advanced civ pro, etc. but imagine they would be helpful in many instances. I don’t know why admin would be super important.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:11 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:23 pm

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am in a similar situation so I wanted to get some feedback on classes to take.

I'm definitely taking: negotiation, accounting, corporations, bankruptcy, secured transactions

Still considering (based off this thread): basic federal income tax, sec reg, corporate finance, civ pro ii, federal jurisdiction

Let's say I can only take 2-4 classes out of the still considering list. Which ones are most useful?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am in a similar situation so I wanted to get some feedback on classes to take.

I'm definitely taking: negotiation, accounting, corporations, bankruptcy, secured transactions

Still considering (based off this thread): basic federal income tax, sec reg, corporate finance, civ pro ii, federal jurisdiction

Let's say I can only take 2-4 classes out of the still considering list. Which ones are most useful?
Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:13 am

I work in restructuring at Weil/KE and didn’t take most of the classes listed in this thread and can’t imagine why anyone would need to (federal courts? Advanced civ pro?). A good corporate restructuring and corporations class would be helpful. You’ll learn everything on the job though and no one expects you to come in with any preexisting knowledge.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”