Lateral Screener (call) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral Screener (call)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Anyone have a phone screener for a lateral position? I read that it’s not a good sign, but I’m on the east coast and the firm is on the west coast, so maybe it’s not that bad?

How much time should I allot? I’ve read anywhere from 15 min to an hour. I’ll have to do it during work, so hopefully it’s not an hour.

Any help is appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral Screener (call)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:02 pm

My last lateral to a law firm had pa phone screener first. The firm was in a different city. After the screener I was invited for a call back and then got an offer. Seems normal to me. Screener lasted 30m.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My last lateral to a law firm had pa phone screener first. The firm was in a different city. After the screener I was invited for a call back and then got an offer. Seems normal to me. Screener lasted 30m.
What was the call to callback timeline?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My last lateral to a law firm had pa phone screener first. The firm was in a different city. After the screener I was invited for a call back and then got an offer. Seems normal to me. Screener lasted 30m.
One week, but the time from callback to offer was ridiculous - 2 months. I think this really varies by firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
One week, but the time from callback to offer was ridiculous - 2 months. I think this really varies by firm.
Thanks for the info!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks for the info!
I also had a phone screener and then got the job. I know bcg attorney search has an article that says it’s a bad sign, but it’s not; it’s fine. Lasted 30 mins. Time from screener to notification of callback was actually only several days. Good luck!

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks for the info!
I also had a phone screener and then got the job. I know bcg Attorney search has an article that says it’s a bad sign, but it’s not; it’s fine. Lasted 30 mins. Time from screener to notification of callback was actually only several days. Good luck!
I think the idea that it's a "bad sign" is silly. If they aren't interested in you as a candidate, they won't waste their time talking to you. Obviously, an immediate call back is the best, but that doesn't mean a phone screen is "bad."

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:12 am

Ditto for my recent lateral to v50. Phone screener first. Didn't seem unusual in the least.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:30 am

OP here. Just had my phone screener. It was only 15 minutes, which I think is a bad sign. I couldn’t get a good flow going.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:26 am

Anyone else have a short interview before? Did you get a callback?

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have a phone screener for a lateral position? I read that it’s not a good sign, but I’m on the east coast and the firm is on the west coast, so maybe it’s not that bad?

How much time should I allot? I’ve read anywhere from 15 min to an hour. I’ll have to do it during work, so hopefully it’s not an hour.

Any help is appreciated!
I don't think having a phone screener is really that bad, particularly since you are in a different market. I'm currently in a similar situation (west coast trying to lateral to a Midwest market), and have found that firms generally want to either do a phone or skype screener before they fly me out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:49 pm

On two occasions, two weeks after the phone interview I was flown in for the person-to-person meeting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On two occasions, two weeks after the phone interview I was flown in for the person-to-person meeting.
How long after the interview did you find out they wanted to fly you out?

How long did each phone interview last? Mine was 15 min (on the dot) so I’m concerned. People said that I shouldn’t worry too much since it’s a phone interview and those tend to be shorter, but I still think it should’ve been 30+ min

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:13 pm

I really wouldn’t put much thought into the fact that it was 15m. It really only takes a short amount of time to realize whether or not you want to bring someone in for an in-person interview. It could mean either (1) they realized very quickly they didn’t like you or (2) they realized very quickly they did like you and didn’t care to waste more time on the phone since they’d rather just discuss with you during an in-person interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:On two occasions, two weeks after the phone interview I was flown in for the person-to-person meeting.
How long after the interview did you find out they wanted to fly you out?

How long did each phone interview last? Mine was 15 min (on the dot) so I’m concerned. People said that I shouldn’t worry too much since it’s a phone interview and those tend to be shorter, but I still think it should’ve been 30+ min
Guessing 30 min interview. Flew out in less than three weeks. Offer within two/three weeks later. Passed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I really wouldn’t put much thought into the fact that it was 15m. It really only takes a short amount of time to realize whether or not you want to bring someone in for an in-person interview. It could mean either (1) they realized very quickly they didn’t like you or (2) they realized very quickly they did like you and didn’t care to waste more time on the phone since they’d rather just discuss with you during an in-person interview.
That’s a fair point. I guess I am just concerned because the pace was so fast. I think after I explained what I do on a daily basis (the first 5 minutes), it went straight into “do you have any questions about us?”. Luckily I had enough questions to last 10 minutes. Maybe it’s not so unusual to have quick phone interviews? That’s what I’m banking on. Said I’d find out in a few weeks since they’re interviewing a few more folks (which I always hate when they say), but seeing as other people found out in that time period, I may not be doomed

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:16 am

15 minutes seems like an autoding

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:15 minutes seems like an autoding
Such a brave use of anon.

OP, there's no way to know. It could be that he hated you and didn't want to waste time. It could be that you met all the requirements for a callback, so he just wanted to check that you could meet the minimum of social standards, and to ask if you had any questions. It could be that he thought you were great, and wanted to get back to billing (y'know, what he's actually paid for). It could be that a client set up a conference call that morning that he had to get on. It could be that his kid was sick and he had to get home. There's really no way to know.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:15 minutes seems like an autoding
Such a brave use of anon.

OP, there's no way to know. It could be that he hated you and didn't want to waste time. It could be that you met all the requirements for a callback, so he just wanted to check that you could meet the minimum of social standards, and to ask if you had any questions. It could be that he thought you were great, and wanted to get back to billing (y'know, what he's actually paid for). It could be that a client set up a conference call that morning that he had to get on. It could be that his kid was sick and he had to get home. There's really no way to know.
This was me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:32 am

SO- is a firm going to give a screener to someone as a lateral that they wouldn't hire - meaning at this point they've overlooked grades/experience whatever and its about fit similar to say a callback during OCI?

Also: is the screener/callback/offer ratio higher, lower, or its random when compared to OCI

These Qs are for a junior lateral

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:SO- is a firm going to give a screener to someone as a lateral that they wouldn't hire - meaning at this point they've overlooked grades/experience whatever and its about fit similar to say a callback during OCI?

Also: is the screener/callback/offer ratio higher, lower, or its random when compared to OCI

These Qs are for a junior lateral
I think as a lateral without the right grades it’s all about experience and fit. I lateralled into biglaw from a tiny firm (3-5 attorneys) because of my practice area and “fit” with the partners I met with. My grades absolutely precluded me getting in at this firm straight from las school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:12 pm

OP here. I ended up getting a callback, then offer.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I ended up getting a callback, then offer.
Did you accept?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:56 pm

worklifewhat wrote:
Did you accept?
Nope. It didn’t feel right. The partner was still awkward during the callback.

I have a few more callbacks lined up, so it wasn’t a “do or die” kind of thing. Also, I like my firm, so I wasn’t going to leave for something I wasn’t extremely excited about

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
worklifewhat wrote:
Did you accept?
Nope. It didn’t feel right. The partner was still awkward during the callback.

I have a few more callbacks lined up, so it wasn’t a “do or die” kind of thing. Also, I like my firm, so I wasn’t going to leave for something I wasn’t extremely excited about
I’m in a similar situation with looking even though I like my firm. Why exactly are you looking?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”