Proskauer vs. Kirkland vs. W&C (all LA) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm?

Proskauer (LA)
47%
Kirkland (LA)
39%
White & Case (LA)
14%

Total votes: 36

Anonymous User

Proskauer vs. Kirkland vs. W&C (all LA)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:41 pm

Anyone have thoughts about these firms in LA? Mostly interested in litigation.

Anonymous User

Re: Proskauer vs. Kirkland vs. W&C (all LA)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:37 pm

If anyone could articulate the reason for their vote, I’d sincerely appreciate it!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:46 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:54 pm

my understanding is that a key rainmaker at Proskauer Los Angeles is either imminently departing or has already departed, which does not bode well for the office. I voted K&E.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:37 pm

To be totally honest, I did not know that W&C has an office in LA.

Is there something more specific than "interested in litigation" that you are looking for? That's not really enough to go on here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:my understanding is that a key rainmaker at Proskauer Los Angeles is either imminently departing or has already departed, which does not bode well for the office. I voted K&E.
Thanks for your response. Is this rainmaker in corporate or lit? I know they just had a few great lit partners lateral over.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:To be totally honest, I did not know that W&C has an office in LA.

Is there something more specific than "interested in litigation" that you are looking for? That's not really enough to go on here.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:51 am

I think both Proskauer and Kirkland are pretty similarly situated in Los Angeles. I think Kirkland might have the stronger litigation practice group, but also probably has longer hours than Proskauer. For firms like these that are fairly close in nature, I think the determining factor would be whether I wanted to work in CC (Proskauer) or Downtown (Kirkland). Personally, I think that the quality of life is so much higher on the westside that I'd probably go with Proskauer, but ultimately location preference will be highly dependent on your own interests.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think both Proskauer and Kirkland are pretty similarly situated in Los Angeles. I think Kirkland might have the stronger litigation practice group, but also probably has longer hours than Proskauer. For firms like these that are fairly close in nature, I think the determining factor would be whether I wanted to work in CC (Proskauer) or Downtown (Kirkland). Personally, I think that the quality of life is so much higher on the westside that I'd probably go with Proskauer, but ultimately location preference will be highly dependent on your own interests.
Do not underrate this consideration.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:16 pm

I voted Proskauer.

Obviously anecdotal but of 3 people that personally know who worked at Kirkland LA, 1 was laid off at year 2, the other laid off at year 4, and the last didn't make NSP. Could just be my choice of friends :lol: but I don't like those odds. FWIW, I know two others in Kirkland DC and they respectively made in NSP in 2017 and 2018.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:42 pm

What size office are you looking to join? Per NALP, Kirkland LA is the largest with 110 listed attorneys, with Proskauer LA behind at 85 listed attorneys and finally W&C down at 39 listed attorneys. All three seem like they have a sizable portion of their total head count dedicated to litigation just looking at the practice area surveys.

The only person I know who worked at any of the three was at Kirkland for less than two years before they lateraled out to a mid-size firm. They seemed to be satisfied with the exit options, but had definite mixed reviews about the work culture. As far as I know, the lateral move was by choice rather than as a result of being let go.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:my understanding is that a key rainmaker at Proskauer Los Angeles is either imminently departing or has already departed, which does not bode well for the office. I voted K&E.
Where are you hearing this? I know several people in this office and none of them had heard anything....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:49 am

Michael is not leaving and I really wonder where people got that idea. I saw that same sentiment on a random tls post couple years ago and I dont know who started it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:30 am

Voted Proskauer. For W&C, I spoke with someone who previously worked there and the sense I got was that the firm was pretty fratty. The women tended to be isolated from conversation because the conversation was always something men tend to care more about e.g. sports and cars. There didn't seem to be a lot of effort to integrate women, and at the time, the office she was at didn't have female partners and then finally hired a senior senior associate as partner. For Kirkland, the sense I've gotten is that they're over worked. I also tend to favor smaller offices when possible, simply because the bigger the firm, the more anonymous, the more room there is for people to be an asshole.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”