DPW vs. Simpson vs. PW vs. Skadden vs. Weil (NY Corporate) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Best firm for culture?

DPW
23%
STB
31%
PW
6%
Skadden
22%
Weil
18%

Total votes: 83

Anonymous User

DPW vs. Simpson vs. PW vs. Skadden vs. Weil (NY Corporate)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:06 pm

Sorry to create another one of these, but wondering about culture/hours of each firm. I'm interested in corporate work broadly, probably public M&A or private equity, with an interest in tax.

I'd like to go to a firm where hours aren't as brutal (comparatively), people are bearable, and there's an actual chance of making partner. Possibility of remote work is a plus (I know Weil allows 3+ years to work from home once a week), as are any special benefits. I don't care about prestige or vault rankings; would rather be able to make partner at a firm I love rather than leave a firm in <2 years. Any info helps, thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: DPW vs. Simpson vs. PW vs. Skadden vs. Weil (NY Corporate)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:42 pm

idk about culture but how do dpw associates survive on a $25 seamless budget

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to create another one of these, but wondering about culture/hours of each firm. I'm interested in corporate work broadly, probably public M&A or private equity, with an interest in tax.

I'd like to go to a firm where hours aren't as brutal (comparatively), people are bearable, and there's an actual chance of making partner.
Unfortunately, making partner at any of these firms is incredibly unlikely, so I don't think that should be a factor in your decision. If you're sure your interest is in corporate, then I would narrow the choice down to DPW, Simpson, and Skadden. All three are band 1 in elite m&a and get great deal work. From there, it's just about where you think your personality meshes best: Skadden is going to be frattier and more social, DPW is more reserved, bookish, and intellectual, and Simpson likely somewhere in the middle (but may have its own quirks).

As to the prior post re: DPW's seamless budget, this honestly shouldn't be discounted. Little things like this actually affect the day-to-day experience of an associate. It might be worth second looks at each of these firms and asking junior/midlevel associates their thoughts on your questions (hours, working remotely), and also asking what they see as some of the downsides of their respective firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd like to go to a firm where hours aren't as brutal (comparatively)
Hours will be similar(ly brutal) at all of these firms.
Anonymous User wrote:people are bearable
Skadden tends to have more "work hard/party hard" "fratty" types, but there's a spectrum at all of these firms. None of them are particularly reputed to have "bad" people.
Anonymous User wrote:and there's an actual chance of making partner.
Essentially zero at any of these firms. You'll have to move much further down the Vault list before you get to firms where making partner is more realistic.
Anonymous User wrote:Possibility of remote work is a plus (I know Weil allows 3+ years to work from home once a week)
DPW is very big on facetime. Don't know about the other three.
Anonymous User wrote:rather than leave a firm in <2 years. Any info helps, thanks!
Most associates don't leave within 2 years. Most leave by year 4/5. Leaving within 2 years isn't recommended.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:59 pm

Weil seems to be leading, can someone explain? What is Weil's stereotype?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:10 am

What about each firm's corporate practice? Are there any clear leaders or are they similarly perceived?

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:53 am

STB NY has glass offices. I can't imagine working in those.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:23 pm

re STB glass walls: not so bad, gives the place a little more community feeling when you're working hard

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:32 pm

Work/have worked at both DPW and PW. Kind of silly to think about partner prospects now, i would set that aside for purposes of making this initial decision. Better to focus on what you want to do and getting good training in a somewhat humane environment. Can't really go wrong with any of these places. Would suggest considering DPW/Simpson as a starting point. If geographic flexibility is important to you or you want more company-side work then Skadden.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:04 pm

What about exit opps for each? Are there any significant differences?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:27 pm

I've heard that DPW and Simpson (white shoe, reserved) tend to have similar cultures while PW/Weil/Skadden are pretty similar (more social, maybe fratty) -- can anyone confirm if this is true?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:22 pm

Congrats on great options. I had similar options several years ago and went with STB. I was specifically interested in PE M&A, but still wanted the opportunity to work on both public and private deals. All of these firms do both, but the balance will be different at each. Additionally, Weil separates its PE and Public M&A groups - some people only want to work on one or the other, so this works great for them, but I wanted a broader experience. At Skadden and DPW you will get more public deals as opposed to PW and Simpson. PW used to be overwhelmingly PE M&A but that has changed. Simpson is about 60/40 PE/public.

Culturally, my perception was that the spectrum from most reserved/nerdy to most fratty would be like this: DPW>PW>STB>Weil>Skadden. I liked that Simpson sort of existed in the middle of the pack. It’s a social atmosphere but there’s not pressure to get hammered with co workers and if you want to separate your work from your social life, your career won’t suffer.

I’d also compare the rotation systems and work assignment systems at each firm as they can vary greatly and can significantly impact your experience. Do second looks and pay attention to what your gut tells you at each firm. These are all great options so “gut feeling” can go a long way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats on great options. I had similar options several years ago and went with STB. I was specifically interested in PE M&A, but still wanted the opportunity to work on both public and private deals. All of these firms do both, but the balance will be different at each. Additionally, Weil separates its PE and Public M&A groups - some people only want to work on one or the other, so this works great for them, but I wanted a broader experience. At Skadden and DPW you will get more public deals as opposed to PW and Simpson. PW used to be overwhelmingly PE M&A but that has changed. Simpson is about 60/40 PE/public.

Culturally, my perception was that the spectrum from most reserved/nerdy to most fratty would be like this: DPW>PW>STB>Weil>Skadden. I liked that Simpson sort of existed in the middle of the pack. It’s a social atmosphere but there’s not pressure to get hammered with co workers and if you want to separate your work from your social life, your career won’t suffer.

I’d also compare the rotation systems and work assignment systems at each firm as they can vary greatly and can significantly impact your experience. Do second looks and pay attention to what your gut tells you at each firm. These are all great options so “gut feeling” can go a long way.
this is incredibly helpful. thank you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:11 pm

If you have a slow rotation or a gap in staffing between rotations as a first year then suddenly you’re looking at getting no bonus at Skadden. That alone would have me taking them off the list. Know more than a few second years there who not only got no bonus last year, but then also got their summer bonus stripped back based on their first year hours. All in you’re suddenly talking like 20k below market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:34 pm

When I did my callbacks with PW corporate few years ago, the junior associates that interviewed me were all in small windowless rooms. The first year associate shared a small windowless room with another first year. That put me off and a partner that interviewed me was so tired that he fell asleep as I was starting to talk. Now that I am working long hours with little sleep at a different firm with a better work environment, I thank God that I didn't end up at PW corporate.

It's already tough as it is and seemingly small things like low seamless budget or small offices with no windows do matter. You are going to be spending a lot of hours (at least over 10 hours a day) at your office.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”