STB v. LW v. K&E Houston or V&E Dallas Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

STB v. LW v. K&E Houston or V&E Dallas

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:45 pm

Considering offers in TX from Simpson, Latham and Kirkland in Houston and V&E in Dallas... Wanting Transactional. Would appreciate any thoughts on culture, exit opportunities down the line, etc.

Anonymous User

Re: STB v. LW v. K&E Houston or V&E Dallas

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:01 am

If you want to be in Texas doing energy / infrastructure transactional work, you should be in Houston. Dallas just isn’t as major of a player, even if V&E Dallas is great itself.

As to KE v Latham v STB, those three firms have different primary practice focuses, serve different clients and have distinct cultures from one another. That will all flow into exit options. Instead of gauging the firms based off opinions on a forum, I’d go on second looks at each of those firms to get a better picture of the people there and the work they do. Ask specifically to meet with some people you haven’t met with yet. When you do meet with the new folks, ask them how long they see themselves at the firm, why they’ve stayed so long, where they see themselves in a few years and where other people who have left have gone.

FWIW: I am at one of the three HTX firms listed and have some friends at one of the others and have worked across from the third.

Editing to add: Also talk to alum at your school at those firms (if any) and try and talk to 3Ls or recent grads who may have summered at the firms. That will be a good perspective.

Neff

Bronze

Post by Neff » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:48 pm

STB > LW > K&E.

No, K&E rocks bunch of gunners gonna take over the world it's K&E > LW > STB.

No no no eff you man, it's LW > K&E > STB.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:51 pm

I would choose based on city first. Houston is definitely the "bigger" market but I'd go where you'll be happy. If you want Dallas, do V&E. If you want Houston, choose between K&E and Latham and you probably won't go wrong.

My impression is that STB is not on the same level as those two in Houston but there was someone at STB in another thread talking it up pretty hard.

Previously I would have said to do Latham if you want more cap markets and K&E if you want more PE deals, but that may not be as true now that Sean Wheeler has jumped to K&E.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”