callback cancellation etiquette Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

callback cancellation etiquette

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:00 pm

Should I wait until tomorrow to call or is it fine to send an email? I want to let the firm know ASAP. The interview isn’t until later this week, but travel arrangements have already been made. CDO wants us to call.

Anonymous User

Re: callback cancellation etiquette

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:17 pm

I always sent an email (mainly because I'm awkward and wanted to avoid confrontation). Something simple like "thank you for this opportunity, but I am currently considering other offers."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:19 pm

email is easier for everyone. No one will be offended; no one cares. There are plenty of other candidates and it happens with some regularity that CBs are cancelled.

TL;DR - email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:44 pm

How about for declining offers? The hiring partner called to give the offer. I was thinking giving a call to the recruiting coordinator might be best. Don't want to waste hiring partner's time and email doesn't seem very professional.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How about for declining offers? The hiring partner called to give the offer. I was thinking giving a call to the recruiting coordinator might be best. Don't want to waste hiring partner's time and email doesn't seem very professional.
Also do this via e-mail, so that there is a written record that you declined the offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How about for declining offers? The hiring partner called to give the offer. I was thinking giving a call to the recruiting coordinator might be best. Don't want to waste hiring partner's time and email doesn't seem very professional.
Also do this via e-mail, so that there is a written record that you declined the offer.
yep. and look, they're not gonna take it personally. there are maybe a handful of hyper-elite firms that have offer->acceptance yields of >50%. the recruiters at DPW or wherever are gonna spend the next month taking rejections. just be polite, email the recruiter and not the hiring partner, and no one will care/remember

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”