Willkie Farr (NY) vs Ropes & Gray (NY) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Willkie NY vs. Ropes NY

Willkie NY
59%
Ropes NY
41%

Total votes: 63

Anonymous User

Willkie Farr (NY) vs Ropes & Gray (NY)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:30 am

Trying to decide between Willkie and Ropes for New York. Mostly interested in litigation. I would prefer to stay in New York for my career.

Anonymous User

Re: Willkie Farr (NY) vs Ropes & Gray (NY)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Disclaimer: I’m a WFG associate, but just on the basis of rankings, Willkie’s much higher ranked in Chambers NY in General Commercial (HR Band 1 vs. HR Band 4) and Securities Litigation (Band 3 vs unranked). The firms are ranked similarly for White Collar. Willkie’s also more highly ranked in Bankruptcy, Antitrust, and Corporate (these are practice groups that tend to generate a lot of litigation for their associated litigators in the New York market).

My experience has been generally positive and I’d say we have a better reputation than Ropes in the NY market (not a knock towards Ropes as a firm generally, but Willkie’s base is in New York so it’s naturally going to be more entrenched here.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:42 pm

No one should choose Ropes outside of Boston if they have an offer from a good/great firm that is HQ’d in that city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No one should choose Ropes outside of Boston if they have an offer from a good/great firm that is HQ’d in that city.
Why not?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Is the litigation group shrinking / are associates being excluded from the lit practice group?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No one should choose Ropes outside of Boston if they have an offer from a good/great firm that is HQ’d in that city.
Why not?
Giving this thread from last year a bump because these are the two firms in NY I am deciding between. Unlike OP I am only interested in corporate/transactional.

Ropes' NALP only shows firmwide stats but based on the info I got during OCI the Boston and New York offices are roughly the same size now, do you think that at that rate not being HQ would really matter that much?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Why not?
Giving this thread from last year a bump because these are the two firms in NY I am deciding between. Unlike OP I am only interested in corporate/transactional.

Ropes' NALP only shows firmwide stats but based on the info I got during OCI the Boston and New York offices are roughly the same size now, do you think that at that rate not being HQ would really matter that much?
If you have an interest in PE related M&A work, Ropes New York is one of the top shops now. That group is as big as many other NY HQ firms now with over 55 associates. As a lateral, I chose it over Willkie in past 3 years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:38 pm

What is the difference between the culture in these two offices?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”