Latham vs Kirkland vs STB vs DPW Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Latham vs Kirkland vs STB vs DPW

Latham
11%
Kirkland
21%
STB
31%
DPW
36%

Total votes: 107

Anonymous User

Latham vs Kirkland vs STB vs DPW

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:53 am

Interested in corporate/transactional work (Cap markets, M&A). Deciding between Latham, Kirkland, STB, DPW.

Anonymous User

Re: Latham vs Kirkland vs STB vs DPW

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:18 pm

Choice should be between Davis Polk and Simpson Thacher. Latham and Kirkland are not DPW/STB peers in NYC. I would choose based on gut, as there isn't a wrong choice between the two.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:12 pm

For capital markets or public M&A, Davis Polk. For PE/real estate, Simpson.

Kirkland is definitely on par with these firms in terms of reputation and deal volume. However, it’s also an absolutely terrible place to work, whereas DPW and STB are at least somewhat humane within the realm of elite NY corporate big law. (Not necessarily in terms of hours, but culture.)

v5junior

Bronze

Post by v5junior » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For capital markets or public M&A, Davis Polk. For PE/real estate, Simpson.

Kirkland is definitely on par with these firms in terms of reputation and deal volume. However, it’s also an absolutely terrible place to work, whereas DPW and STB are at least somewhat humane within the realm of elite NY corporate big law. (Not necessarily in terms of hours, but culture.)
I think this is a bit misleading—DPW has been growing their PE practice and STB does lots of strategic m&a (to be clear, the PE vs public m&a distinction makes no sense—it’s private vs public or PE vs strategic, and even then the lines are less clear than people would have you believe).

I would say it’s a toss-up for M&A between the two firms, while DPW has a better FIG/restructuring practice (by a wide margin) and a better cap markets practice (by a narrow margin), while STB has a better real estate/fund formation practice (by a wide margin).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:For capital markets or public M&A, Davis Polk. For PE/real estate, Simpson.

From speaking with and knowing both STB and KE associates, in no way should you think STB is better place to work than KE—especially for corporate. STB corporate associates are getting crushed. The hours seem just as brutal at both places and the partners just as shitty. I would to see OP here pick STB thinking it’d be more humane that KE.

If you are to pick STB pick it for a legitimate difference. Like their central assignment system, more public M&A deals, or their better cap markets practice.

Also, DPW is not any better at public M&A and Cap Markets than STB. Both firms are the shit when it comes to those practice areas. But if there was one firm in the V10 I’d call humane (even though I won’t) it’s be DPW.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”