Skadden or Covington? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Skadden or Covington?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:37 am

Trying to decide between the two and thought I’d see if anyone here has helpful insight.

Both are for DC offices. I’d like to do government-facing work, but beyond that I haven’t narrowed it down (although both firms have political law groups which is interesting to me). It’s also important to me that the firm have a strong commitment to pro bono, which both appear to have. As far as culture, I got the sense that Skadden was slightly less buttoned-up, but I genuinely enjoyed all of my conversations with attorneys at both places. I imagine quality of life and hours are fairly similar at both, but would love first-hand knowledge if anyone can speak to this. Or if anyone has any other helpful thoughts I’m all ears!

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: Skadden or Covington?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Trying to decide between the two and thought I’d see if anyone here has helpful insight.

Both are for DC offices. I’d like to do government-facing work, but beyond that I haven’t narrowed it down (although both firms have political law groups which is interesting to me). It’s also important to me that the firm have a strong commitment to pro bono, which both appear to have. As far as culture, I got the sense that Skadden was slightly less buttoned-up, but I genuinely enjoyed all of my conversations with attorneys at both places. I imagine quality of life and hours are fairly similar at both, but would love first-hand knowledge if anyone can speak to this. Or if anyone has any other helpful thoughts I’m all ears!

Thanks in advance!
Only speaking to pro bono here, but Covington is second of all AmLaw firms. Really a meaningful commitment. Though, as you said, Skadden is serious, as well.

https://www.law.com/americanlawyer/2018 ... age-hours/

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Re: Skadden or Covington?

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:25 am

Covington has a lot of different regulatory groups that you'll be able to try out over the summer. To put that in context, Covington's DC office is over twice as big as Skadden's. Also compare the two on Chambers to get an idea of the breadth of their practice groups (not everything is there, though) and how well regarded each is in those areas:
https://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA ... affiliates
https://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA ... on-burling

If you're not sure what you want to do, Outside of litigation, Covington is probably the more humane of the two. And if by government facing you mean white collar work, Covington is the clear winner as well. Covington is also better regarded in terms of pure DC prestige, though not necessarily national name recognition.

TLDR: If you don't have a specific group at Skadden that you want to join, go to Covington.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”