Mass Mailing: E-mail or Online Application Portal? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass Mailing: E-mail or Online Application Portal?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:57 pm

When it comes to mass mailing, what do people have better luck with for firms that have a dedicated online application portal: using the online portal or "old-fashioned" e-mailing your materials to the recruiting contact? For those firms that have an online application system, I have been using that method exclusively, but lately I'm thinking I should also follow it up with e-mailing my materials to the recruiting contact. Is this advised, or is it overkill (and possibly annoying)?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Mass Mailing: E-mail or Online Application Portal?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:45 pm

Bump.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:12 pm

If there’s an application available online fill that out.

If you email the recruiter when there’s an app online you risk annoying them. Plus you also show them that you didn’t even visit the website.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:14 pm

I always did both. Picked up 3 extra callbacks this way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:06 am

I never bother filling out the online applications. They are a time sink and I assume they are blackholes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:12 am

I used the application portals whenever I found them. They are a time sink, but I don't think you're just chucking your resume into the void. I applied to a TON of firms and found the response rate when I submitted with the forms was about the same as it was for the firms where I applied by email. Skadden, Paul Hastings, Arnold & Porter, Bryan Cave, Axinn, and a couple others that I can't think of (all DC offices) all gave me interviews following submission to their online form.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:18 pm

So doing both for each firm is the best way to go I guess?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I used the application portals whenever I found them. They are a time sink, but I don't think you're just chucking your resume into the void. I applied to a TON of firms and found the response rate when I submitted with the forms was about the same as it was for the firms where I applied by email. Skadden, Paul Hastings, Arnold & Porter, Bryan Cave, Axinn, and a couple others that I can't think of (all DC offices) all gave me interviews following submission to their online form.

How long did it take to get a response? I think the slow response rate makes the online apps feel like a black hole

Also, if we apply online is it appropriate to send a follow-up email in a week if we haven't heard anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I used the application portals whenever I found them. They are a time sink, but I don't think you're just chucking your resume into the void. I applied to a TON of firms and found the response rate when I submitted with the forms was about the same as it was for the firms where I applied by email. Skadden, Paul Hastings, Arnold & Porter, Bryan Cave, Axinn, and a couple others that I can't think of (all DC offices) all gave me interviews following submission to their online form.

How long did it take to get a response? I think the slow response rate makes the online apps feel like a black hole

Also, if we apply online is it appropriate to send a follow-up email in a week if we haven't heard anything?
(I'm the above anon poster)

In general, yeah, it felt like it took forever to hear from anyone, but again, I really didn't find it varied much between emailed applications and online forms. I did all of my mass-mailing when journal results came out in early-mid July, and I started hearing from firms (both email and online form applications) toward the end of July. My first responses were from Skadden (online form application) and Gibson Dunn (emailed application) on the same day, about 7-10 days after applying. I would say I got the bulk of responses in early-mid August (3-4 weeks after sending out applications), but I'm still getting occasional responses from firms that are apparently just digging into their mass-mail pile after they've figured out what they've got from OCIs (and these late responses are, again, from both emailed and online form applications). I suspect that all the firms just keep their mass-mailed resumes in a folder somewhere whether they get them from email or a form.

As far as follow-up emails, I think doing it a week after applying is probably kind of impatient, but I don't see that it would hurt much. I'd try to make sure you have some update to give, or some kind of nudge like saying you're going to be in town on XYZ dates if they'd like to set up an interview.

But take all that with a grain of salt, of course. I'm just another 2L that has had some luck with mass-mailing this summer and I don't have any special expertise on the subject.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”