Background check disclosures Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Background check disclosures

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:10 pm

Received an offer for a 2L SA last week but I have a background check question. I transferred as an undergrad, and did poorly at my first institution due to health problems. I took a medical leave and then transferred after that. That brought down my LSAC gpa by a little, and I only listed my graduating institution and gpa on my resumes. Should I disclose this before they do a background check? It never came up in conversation and the whole situation was a pretty private part of my life health wise, though of my school knows all about it as they have my transcripts and I talked about my health history in my personal statement.

Additionally, the firm never asked about past criminal stuff but I have one ticket that I reported to the school, even though I was personally told by an officer that it would not appear on my record about a year after I received it. Should I disclose that too if I plan on disclosing it for the bar?

QContinuum

Re: Background check disclosures

Post by QContinuum » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:33 pm

The key is to read the questions very closely and provide accurate & thorough information. If in doubt, err on the side of overdisclosure. You won't have your offer rescinded due to a ticket or a rocky start to your college career, but may run into trouble if you come across as less than candid.
Anonymous User wrote:I transferred as an undergrad, and did poorly at my first institution due to health problems. I took a medical leave and then transferred after that. That brought down my LSAC gpa by a little, and I only listed my graduating institution and gpa on my resumes. Should I disclose this before they do a background check?
It depends on what the background check asks for. If they simply ask you to list every degree you've earned, then obviously no need to mention the first institution. If they ask you to list every school you've ever attended, then obviously list the first institution. If you do end up listing the first institution, there's no need to attach any explanation (let alone mention your past health problems). You already have the offer in hand - the firm won't care about how high/low your freshman GPA was.
Anonymous User wrote:Additionally, the firm never asked about past criminal stuff but I have one ticket that I reported to the school, even though I was personally told by an officer that it would not appear on my record about a year after I received it. Should I disclose that too if I plan on disclosing it for the bar?
Again, it depends on what the background check asks for. If they ask you to disclose every citation you've ever received, then yes, you should disclose the ticket. Read closely.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:37 pm

OP here. The background check asks me nothing. It simply asks for my consent and says they will run one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:54 pm

I'm pretty sure they are referring to a criminal background check. Your undergraduate medical leave won't fall within that scope. And a traffic ticket? Bless your heart. You have nothing to worry about.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:55 pm

Then definitely no need to proactively contact the firm and/or disclose anything. So long as you were truthful in all of the materials you've submitted, you should be fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Cool, thanks for your help

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”