JD/MBA Bonus and Class Year Bump Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

JD/MBA Bonus and Class Year Bump

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:02 pm

HI all,

I was wondering if anyone has up to date information on how firms are compensating JD/MBA candidates? I have heard that certain firms give a bonus and class year bump, but was hoping some recent grads could provide insight as to specific firms. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: JD/MBA Bonus and Class Year Bump

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:55 pm

S&C doesn't.
STB gives class bump.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:40 am

Minority opinion: I don't think the class year bump is worth it. You learn a ton as a first year; and are given a lot more slack than even second years. Sure, you'd pull in a fair bit more as a second year (additional comp + bonus)... but you'd lose a year of runway... And for lateral positions/exits, you will still be viewed based on the number of years you have spent at the firm (almost certainly for in-house positions, and potentially for lateral firm jobs). You also won't have the substantive skill that justifies a class year bump -- unlike clerks who bring a ton of practical experience to the table.

Just my $0.02.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:46 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Minority opinion: I don't think the class year bump is worth it. You learn a ton as a first year; and are given a lot more slack than even second years. Sure, you'd pull in a fair bit more as a second year (additional comp + bonus)... but you'd lose a year of runway... And for lateral positions/exits, you will still be viewed based on the number of years you have spent at the firm (almost certainly for in-house positions, and potentially for lateral firm jobs). You also won't have the substantive skill that justifies a class year bump -- unlike clerks who bring a ton of practical experience to the table.

Just my $0.02.
It's probably just for compensation purposes, and not an actual progression credit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”