Nashville?!? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Nashville?!?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:59 pm

I received an offer from BBS and am entertaining it (have an offer at a V20 that pays market). Is BBS good hours-wise? Could I lateral to a bigger city after a few years (Chicago)?

I heard that they’re lock-step. Does anyone know the scale?

Lastly, is it worth turning down a V20 offer to go to Nashville?

QContinuum

Re: Nashville?!?

Post by QContinuum » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lastly, is it worth turning down a V20 offer to go to Nashville?
Well, what're your goals? Why do you want to go to Nashville? If, say, you have kids and your entire familial support network's in Nashville and you want to practice in Nashville, then by all means start in Nashville. If, however, your goals are to "lateral to a bigger city after a few years (Chicago)", as you state above, then you should start at the V20.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:30 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received an offer from BBS and am entertaining it (have an offer at a V20 that pays market). Is BBS good hours-wise? Could I lateral to a bigger city after a few years (Chicago)?

BBS is lock-step with 1850 hours required. However, if you are in their corporate practice, be prepared for some late nights and weekends regardless of the stated minimum. I think people have generally been able to lateral to bigger firms as well.

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:29 pm

For what it's worth, BBS has a good reputation amongst Vandy students. I can answer Nashville questions that you have if you tag me. I would honestly look for a clerkship in Nashville if that's something you're interested in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received an offer from BBS and am entertaining it (have an offer at a V20 that pays market). Is BBS good hours-wise? Could I lateral to a bigger city after a few years (Chicago)?

BBS is lock-step with 1850 hours required. However, if you are in their corporate practice, be prepared for some late nights and weekends regardless of the stated minimum. I think people have generally been able to lateral to bigger firms as well.
Do you know what the lockstep scale is? Is it 5k increments a year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:31 pm

Big Red wrote:For what it's worth, BBS has a good reputation amongst Vandy students. I can answer Nashville questions that you have if you tag me. I would honestly look for a clerkship in Nashville if that's something you're interested in.

As a side note, I would recommend removing the stuff from your second post since it makes you identifiable and you're indicating that you have a foot out the door.
Do you work at one of the large firms? I hear Nashville is really just healthcare. Do you find that to be the case?

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Big Red wrote:For what it's worth, BBS has a good reputation amongst Vandy students. I can answer Nashville questions that you have if you tag me. I would honestly look for a clerkship in Nashville if that's something you're interested in.

Do you work at one of the large firms? I hear Nashville is really just healthcare. Do you find that to be the case?
I do not but that strikes me as overstating how much stuff they do around healthcare. Someone in the market can chime in. What kind of stuff do you want to do? Even if you're doing healthcare you won't be too niche so as not being able to lateral a couple years in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:09 am

BBS is not lock-step for the traditional national scale. Not even close. You will make significantly less. Generally 5k/year raises. It is mostly healthcare (but that is just the market) but the best firm in town for corporate. Still the best option for Nash.

I wouldn't start there if you want to end up elsewhere. Not many know them outside of TN. Good firm, and the hours will be significantly less than a major market. If you want to be in Nash, though, no better firm out there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:BBS is not lock-step for the traditional national scale. Not even close. You will make significantly less. Generally 5k/year raises. It is mostly healthcare (but that is just the market) but the best firm in town for corporate. Still the best option for Nash.

I wouldn't start there if you want to end up elsewhere. Not many know them outside of TN. Good firm, and the hours will be significantly less than a major market. If you want to be in Nash, though, no better firm out there.
Thanks for the response. 5k a year doesn’t seem terrible, given the cost of living in Nashville (just did a basic search and a studio is as low as $1300 in a new building, it seems).

My worry is that I’ve heard of law firms in smaller cities starting with large salaries only to give “discretionary” raises. So that’s what I meant more with the lockstep question.

Also, anyone know the health of the firm? Can’t find any PPP, PPL, etc. numbers for them. Heck, I can’t even find the revenue for 2017.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:BBS is not lock-step for the traditional national scale. Not even close. You will make significantly less. Generally 5k/year raises. It is mostly healthcare (but that is just the market) but the best firm in town for corporate. Still the best option for Nash.

Thanks for the response. 5k a year doesn’t seem terrible, given the cost of living in Nashville (just did a basic search and a studio is as low as $1300 in a new building, it seems).

My worry is that I’ve heard of law firms in smaller cities starting with large salaries only to give “discretionary” raises. So that’s what I meant more with the lockstep question.

Also, anyone know the health of the firm? Can’t find any PPP, PPL, etc. numbers for them. Heck, I can’t even find the revenue for 2017.
I have several friends there. Their lockstep is more than $5K per year, and its not “discretionary”. You are paid with your class year. Firm is doing very well (healthcare and M&A is booming) and there is plenty of non-healthcare work if you don’t want to get into healthcare.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have several friends there. Their lockstep is more than $5K per year, and its not “discretionary”. You are paid with your class year. Firm is doing very well (healthcare and M&A is booming) and there is plenty of non-healthcare work if you don’t want to get into healthcare.
Is it some secret lockstep scale? I am not able to find it anywhere. Usually firms make their lockstep scales public, so I’m just confused.

Also, is there possibly an option of moving to the DC office after a few years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is it some secret lockstep scale? I am not able to find it anywhere. Usually firms make their lockstep scales public, so I’m just confused.

Also, is there possibly an option of moving to the DC office after a few years?
I wouldn’t say its secret, all BBS associates know it, but since BBS doesn’t report to Vault or Amlaw, its not really available online. I think their scale goes 130, 135, 142 for 1-3 years with bigger raises for mid/senior levels. Bonuses are better than other firms in the market as well.

Not sure if anyone there has gone from Nash to DC, but I bet its possible if you do good work and they want to keep you around.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”