Winston or Baker McKenzie CHI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Winston or Baker McKenzie CHI

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:28 pm

If you had offers at both, which would you pick and why?

Also if you also had Jones day and Kirkland in the mix, what would you choose?

Anonymous User

Re: Winston or Baker McKenzie CHI

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you had offers at both, which would you pick and why?

Lit or corp?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you had offers at both, which would you pick and why?

Lit or corp?
Corp

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Winston, for the name and for what seems to be a quickly expanding corporate group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Though its US practice doesn't receive much credit on TLS, Baker McKenzie has the strongest law firm brand in the world. What does Winston and Strawn have?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Though its US practice doesn't receive much credit on TLS, Baker McKenzie has the strongest law firm brand in the world. What does Winston and Strawn have?
But OP would be practicing in the US. OP won't be practicing abroad, so won't be receiving much (any) benefit from Baker's global reputation. (I'm also not convinced Baker McKenzie has the "strongest law firm brand in the world.")

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:08 pm

Winston for sure

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Though its US practice doesn't receive much credit on TLS, Baker McKenzie has the strongest law firm brand in the world. What does Winston and Strawn have?
But OP would be practicing in the US. OP won't be practicing abroad, so won't be receiving much (any) benefit from Baker's global reputation. (I'm also not convinced Baker McKenzie has the "strongest law firm brand in the world.")
Agreed that some other law firms' practices are strong across the globe as well, but on the whole:
https://www.acritas.com/news/baker-mcke ... -contender

Also, just because one practices in the US doesn't mean s/he can't benefit from a global network. Baker McKenzie is great about bringing everyone together. OP would have many more international opportunities, in terms of both work and relationships, at Baker McKenzie (or another truly global firm) than a place like Winston and Strawn. BM's large footprint is geared toward servicing certain types of clients, including massive multinationals, as well as smaller companies looking to leverage a big law firm brand. The work can be both sophisticated and tedious...

Overall, I have a feeling OP would gain a broader perspective by starting at Baker McKenzie. Being so global is not a trait exclusive to Baker McKenzie, but it especially strong there. They also had a great year last year under the new firm chair... revenue was way up: https://www.law.com/americanlawyer/2018 ... ue-profit/.

For our TLS wizards, Baker is ranked more than dozen slots higher on Vault... I assume no cite is necessary for that fact.

Unless OP is really interested in one of Winston and Strawn's strengths, I'd go Baker McKenzie. I am sure Winston and Strawn is a fine firm, sure, but again, what is it known for? I hope someone who has worked there can share more about its own identity and strengths as opposed to someone explaining why Baker McKenzie isn't good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:21 am

Don’t go to Baker unless you enjoy having middle of the night phone calls and herding foreign counsel. Baker does a lot of international M&A, which sounds enticing to law students, but will ruin your life. International deals are the worst. Phone calls and meetings at random hours like 3am all the time.

Baker also doesn’t have a great reputation. If by Kirkland being in the mix means you have a Kirkland offer then go to Kirkland.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Lol, Baker McKenzie doesn't even have a better "global brand" than Dentons. Baker McKenzie's profit per lawyer/revenue per lawyer metrics are pathetic, and total compensation is substantially below Winston for all US associates. I think Baker McKenzie's profit per lawyer is less than 200k, whereas Winston's is around 500k.

Vault ranking is meaningless. Skadden is V3, and Williams & Connolly isn't even V10. Guess which one is infinitely harder to get a job at?

Baker McKenzie is the Walmart of the legal world.

Kirkland > Winston > Jones Day > Baker McKenzie

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/03/facing- ... ssociates/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”