Top 25% T1 Fear Striking Out at OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 25% T1 Fear Striking Out at OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:00 pm

I’ll start with stats because I know that’s what everyone will want to see: I go to a highly reputable T1 in a big city (think BU/GW/Fordham) and finished 1L in the top 25% (probably closer to top 15 at worst top 20 but my school only publishes cut offs for 10, 25, 33 and 50). I have prior work experience in the corporate world, I’m on a secondary journal that has an amazing reputation at my school, have a note topic that interviewers seem to love chatting about, I’m going to be a TA this fall. My resume is decent. My school generally sends 35-40% of the class to BigLaw, so I don’t think my rank is what’s holding me back.

I screened with 17 firms on campus during EIW and ended up with 7 callbacks. I’ve already been dinged by two of the firms (one clearly was not a good fit during the CB, the other one seemed like it went well with all one but one interviewer who seemed not to like me all that much). I am waiting on 3 firms and have two more callbacks coming up.

I did all of the mock interviews my school offered. Was told I have a gift for interviewing by my mock interviewer (senior associate at V50). I’ve done mock interviewers with partners at the firm where one of my parents work and they’ve told me I’m a great interviewer too.

I’ve been told some of the questions I ask are great during actual callbacks.

So I’m a little confused at why I’m striking out so far and where to go from here.

Obviously, prepare for my upcoming CBs. I’m going to see if career services will do another mock interview with me.

I know I should be massmailing too, but the process seems so daunting and I don’t have tons of time to write Cover Letters for all of the firms I would want to mass mail. Do people mass mail without cover letters? I also fear mass mailing at this point is going to be futile since summer classes are filling up- but I’m going to start.

Is there anything I could be overlooking in how I’m presenting myself? My suits are always wrinkle free, I don’t wear anything inappropriate or flashy, I always look presentable, I always bring copies of all my documents (resume, transcript, writing sample, CL if the application asked for one).

What else should I be doing that I haven’t thought of?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Top 25% T1 Fear Striking Out at OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:15 pm

I have the exact same stats as you (top 25% at one of the T1 schools you mentioned, although I'm on the flagship journal). I got 3 CB dings before getting my first offer (from a V5 in NY, somehow). My advice would be to stick it out and don't lose hope unless you actually get dinged by all of the firms. Focus on your upcoming callbacks and make sure you use every question as an opportunity to highlight your strengths and what sets you apart. And always make sure you're reading your interviewer - if they're low-energy, don't bombard them with extroversion, and vice versa. You might be a "gift for interviewing" for your mock interview, but your "style" might not work for everyone.

Also, make sure you're mass mailing like crazy - a lot of firms in the V70-V100 range are happily taking write-in applications right now (two of the callbacks I got were through write-in applications). And don't forget about public interest, especially if your school gives you summer funding for unpaid internships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:And always make sure you're reading your interviewer - if they're low-energy, don't bombard them with extroversion, and vice versa. You might be a "gift for interviewing" for your mock interview, but your "style" might not work for everyone.

Also, make sure you're mass mailing like crazy - a lot of firms in the V70-V100 range are happily taking write-in applications right now (two of the callbacks I got were through write-in applications). And don't forget about public interest, especially if your school gives you summer funding for unpaid internships.
The bolded seems like what I can concentrate on more. Generally I try to balance with what my interviewer is giving me but When I feel like they have no energy I tend to try to compensate with my own energy so I can get something out of them.

When you did write-in applications did you write cover letters or did you just send your resume/transcript?

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Mail now. It sounds like you're doing everything right. It's not your fault that things haven't clicked so far but it would be your fault if you were missing out on even one free screener/CB by not mailing. You don't need cover letter necessarily though it may be better to have one. Just send transcript and resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:34 pm

BrainsyK wrote:Mail now. It sounds like you're doing everything right. It's not your fault that things haven't clicked so far but it would be your fault if you were missing out on even one free screener/CB by not mailing. You don't need cover letter necessarily though it may be better to have one. Just send transcript and resume.
If I use a standard cover letter and just change a sentence or two for each firm will that be better than not sending a cover letter? I worry about sending a CL that comes across as generic/they can tell I sent to every firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BrainsyK wrote:Mail now. It sounds like you're doing everything right. It's not your fault that things haven't clicked so far but it would be your fault if you were missing out on even one free screener/CB by not mailing. You don't need cover letter necessarily though it may be better to have one. Just send transcript and resume.
If I use a standard cover letter and just change a sentence or two for each firm will that be better than not sending a cover letter? I worry about sending a CL that comes across as generic/they can tell I sent to every firm.
I don't think it'll make a difference either way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:23 pm

Any other words of wisdom for people in situations similar to OP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:10 pm

Aren't you jumping the gun a little bit? You have two interviews left and how you do on those is completely within your control.

I have a 4.0 at a T25 and have essentially struck out (8 Callbacks in a major non-NY/DC market --> 7 affirmative dings and 1 with 2+ weeks of silence). This whole process sucks and at this point I'm just trying to salvage my future career.

Go in, kill your final interviews and get an offer. Don't sulk and count yourself out. I wish I went into my last couple interviews more upbeat/positive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any other words of wisdom for people in situations similar to OP?
This isn't meant as snark, but maybe wait till you've actually struck out to panic this hard? No one bats 1000. I get the anxiety, and I totally agree you should massmail and take action, but you have 3 callbacks outstanding and 2 more interviews to go. Absolutely think about if there's stuff you need to change, but statistically, you weren't ever going to get every one of those jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:46 pm

I feel your pain. Above median at MVP, bid DC/NY, 25 screeners, 3 CB, 1 of which I have already been rejected from. It's been a rough cycle for me. I have already sent out 40 applications online to firms in DC/NY and Chicago (biggest market closest to where I'm from). I'm finding more to apply to, but I'm hoping something will bite. I'm just not interested in doing the sort of corporate work that these firms in NY with huge classes are mostly doing. I'm interested in litigation and a couple substantive regulatory areas.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And always make sure you're reading your interviewer - if they're low-energy, don't bombard them with extroversion, and vice versa. You might be a "gift for interviewing" for your mock interview, but your "style" might not work for everyone.

The bolded seems like what I can concentrate on more. Generally I try to balance with what my interviewer is giving me but When I feel like they have no energy I tend to try to compensate with my own energy so I can get something out of them.

When you did write-in applications did you write cover letters or did you just send your resume/transcript?
Bolded/quoted OP here - I sent resume, transcript, cover letter, writing sample, and a list of 3 references.

For everyone else - again, mass mail! Some of the lower ranked firms, even in NYC/DC, are actively taking write-in applications. When I say actively, I mean that during my CB at write-in firms, some of the interviewers alluded to not being thrilled with the candidates they saw during OCI and they were looking for others. If you're interested in DC, I received CBs at Epstein Becker Green, eversheds sutherland, mcdermott will and emery and squire patton boggs through write-in applications (declined all of them b/c I've already accepted another offer).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Bolded/quoted OP here - I sent resume, transcript, cover letter, writing sample, and a list of 3 references.

For everyone else - again, mass mail! Some of the lower ranked firms, even in NYC/DC, are actively taking write-in applications. When I say actively, I mean that during my CB at write-in firms, some of the interviewers alluded to not being thrilled with the candidates they saw during OCI and they were looking for others. If you're interested in DC, I received CBs at Epstein Becker Green, Eversheds Sutherland, McDermott Will and Emery and Squire Patton Boggs through write-in applications (declined all of them b/c I've already accepted another offer).
When did you have an Epstein Becker Green callback? I sent them an application through a resume collect in July, though unfortunately my cover letter had a mistake in it--probably dinged me because of that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

For everyone else - again, mass mail! Some of the lower ranked firms, even in NYC/DC, are actively taking write-in applications. When I say actively, I mean that during my CB at write-in firms, some of the interviewers alluded to not being thrilled with the candidates they saw during OCI and they were looking for others. If you're interested in DC, I received CBs at Epstein Becker Green, Eversheds Sutherland, McDermott Will and Emery and Squire Patton Boggs through write-in applications (declined all of them b/c I've already accepted another offer).
Any idea which NY firms are actively looking?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”